Do you want to work on one of the country’s fastest growing news titles covering a unique patch? We are looking for a trainee journalist who loves a good story to report on Cumbria and the Lake District. You should have excellent storytelling techniques, superb social media skills, and a deep understanding of how to make content engaging.
We are looking for a news writer to help us expand our coverage of Cumbria, so you will be reporting across one of the most beautiful parts of the country. You will bring in stories and – critical to this role – build a community around your content via newsletters and social media to ensure it reaches as many people as possible.
This is not just about creating brilliant content, it’s about growing your own audience and influence within that community. CumbriaLive is a digital news brand launched by LancsLive and this role will have a focus on email newsletters with responsibility for curating content, sending regular bulletins and driving engagement.
So, who are we?
Hello, we are Reach! You might not have heard of us but we have probably met without you even realising it. We are home to the UK and Ireland’s most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Mirror, Daily Express and OK!, to our regional titles such as the Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more), our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people.
We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human. Oh, and we should probably also mention that with a monthly readership of 47 million people, Reach is the largest commercial publisher in the UK. At Reach, not only will you feel better understood, you will also feel you understand other people better too.
- The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Find their own stories, make contacts and work a patch
- Cover breaking news using all the tools at the disposal of a journalist working in a digital newsroom
- Understand how to identify the stories that people from this area want to read
- Be able to tell stories in a clear and accurate way
- Provide quality content to tight deadlines
- Manage and curate content for newsletters and social media channels
- Have a good understanding of how to use social media to spot stories and identify relevant trending content
- Understand the need to build an audience round your content to help it reach the people it is created for
- Understand the value of analytics to inform content decisions
- Maintain the highest personal standards of professionalism and integrity at all times within the framework of current legislation and
- Reach PLC’s editorial and company policies
- Maintain a thorough, up-to-date knowledge of media law and IPSO code
The ideal candidate
- An NCTJ recognised journalism qualification or equivalent
- A strong storyteller with a thorough understanding of how to create engaging content
- A skilled user of social media to engage audiences, source ideas and share content
- Great communication skills and the ability to build a strong network of contacts
- Excellent storytelling skills
- Be willing to be flexible in terms of shifts
- A good understanding of SEO
- Ability to work well under deadline pressure
- A team player, willing to work flexibly
- Lots of energy, enthusiasm and self-motivation
- Full driving licence.
- What can we offer you?
- 25 days holiday per annum when you join. After three, five and ten years’ service with Reach, you’ll accrue one additional day of annual leave
- Defined progression pathway
- Enhanced Maternity, Partner and Shared Parental Leave benefits
- Contributory pension scheme
- Share save scheme
- Simply Health Cash Plan
- A brilliant induction and learning hub
- Holiday purchase scheme
- Technology purchase scheme
- Car purchase scheme
- Discounted gym membership
- Lots of high street discounts
- Huge focus on Diversity & Inclusion. We have launched 6 networks to drive diversity at work and an inclusive environment, and to give you a voice. We hold panel events with internal and external guest speakers, and provide some really useful resources.
- Huge focus on your wellbeing. Free wellbeing apps and confidential coaching support, with access to free healthcare advice and counselling (available to your and your immediate family members who live in the same household). Some services are available 24/7 via call and live chat.