Job: Theatre Scrub Practitioner
Location: Bupa Cromwell Hospital, Kensington, London
Role: Full time, permanent, plus additional on-call
Salary: Highly competitive plus benefits
Here you’ll be welcomed. We’re proud to be an inclusive company that champions diversity and understand the importance of our people being representative of the communities and customers we serve.
Bupa is one of the most well-known and respected healthcare businesses in the world, because what we do matters. From our contact centres to our care homes; health and dental centres to our state-of-the-art hospitals across all four corners of the globe, every part of our operations are dedicated to our purpose of helping people live longer, healthier, happier lives. We pride ourselves on working with brilliant people who put our customers at the heart of everything they do.
We are recruiting for a Theatre Scrub Practitioner to work at Bupa Cromwell Hospital, which is an internationally recognised hospital located in the heart of Kensington, London. This hospital receives both UK and international patients and is committed to providing the highest quality healthcare for patients. Attracting leading consultants and doctors recognised for excellence in their specialised fields, we’re wanting to hear from passionate NMC or HCPC registered candidates.
You shall be responsible for providing skilled clinical and technical assistance as a member of the operating theatre team and participate in the assessment of patient care needs and implement and maintain agreed standards of care.
- Ensure that professional and national standards are met in accordance to the NMC), HPC and HCA’S Code of Conduct.
- Assess, plan, deliver and evaluate peri-operative patient care.
- Provide surgical, anaesthetic or recovery assistance to the consultants during all surgical procedures whether under local/regional/sedation/ general anaesthetic.
- Create and maintain legible and accurate records of care in accordance with BUPA and the Cromwell Hospitals’ local policies and procedures.
- Assist in the positioning and preparation of a patient as directed by the surgical team and ensure that any specimens are correctly labelled and dispatched to the laboratory.
- Help to control cross infection by observing departmental policy regarding dress, the maintenance of a clean working environment, decontamination and sterilisation procedures and asepsis.
- Participate in the delegation and supervision of junior grades, unqualified and less experienced staff.
- Assist in the management and organisation of the operating theatre(s).
- Take part in the on-call rotas and rostered weekend duties.
- Participate in induction and orientation programmes for new staff to ensure a welcoming environment.
- Prepare patients for clinical/ operative procedures, both in anaesthetics and surgery.
- Provide assistance in clinical/ operative procedures, both anaesthetics and surgery.
- Provide immediate post-operative care.
- Provide initial emergency care as required.
- Take charge of the clinical area in the absence of an advanced practitioner ensuring patient, visitors and staff safety.
- Ensure all equipment is checked prior to use and any faults reported to the Theatre Co-ordinator.
- Participate fully as a team member, including working in all areas of the theatre suite, sharing knowledge and information and supporting colleagues, to promote a cohesive team and the achievement of team objectives.
- Adhere to the procedures for the use of supplies, ordering requirements for the Department as directed by line manager.
- Ensure the accurate collection of data in relation to theatre activity.
- Maintain the safe custody, handling of drugs in accordance with hospital policy.
The successful candidate:
- NMC Registered Nurse (Adult and/or Children) with a minimum of 2 years’ experience.
- Alternatively, HCPC registered with a Diploma or Degree in Health Care Studies / ODP Level 3 NVQ / ODA 752.
- Experience of working within an acute hospital setting.
- Flexibility to take part in on-call rotas and rostered weekend duties.
- Excellent communication and organisational skills.
We’re an inclusive organisation that celebrates diversity and welcomes everyone – all talents and backgrounds. Bupa strives to make sure that every applicant is assessed solely on the basis of personal merit and qualifications, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, marital or civil partner status, gender reassignment, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, disability or age.
To be part of this highly supportive and passionate team, please submit your CV or contact Louise Griffiths, Senior Specialist Recruiter at Bupa, on 07714 073450 or