NATS is the UK’s leading air navigation service provider, handling over 2 million flights each year. It provides air traffic control services from two control centres supporting airports all around the UK, as well as a wide range of commercial solutions to over 30 countries internationally. Our people are at the heart of our purpose to advance aviation and keep the skies safe.
This role is for a Systems Software Engineer within our Technical Services function which focuses on the Flight Data Domain of the Systems Engineering Practice. This department enables us to meet our challenges in delivering major change and sustainment activities in support of operational ATM systems.
The successful candidate be part of a team supporting and maintaining systems that form part of the complex Flight Data Processing systems in service of transformation and sustainment projects, collaborating with the technical experts. Systems Software Engineers within the Flight Data Domain will be experienced or able to gain experience in working with Flight Data Processing Systems (NAS, NERC, iTEC), Controller Tools (iFACTS, FourSight) and Data Communications Systems (Air Ground Data Link, OLDI messaging/COFFEE etc.), and related systems.
The role of the systems software engineer is to work closely with the team to design and develop software for complex systems. There are wide range of technologies that need support so flexibility and ability to learn new skills is essential.
Essential skills and experience:
- Experience in Systems Software Engineering and delivery of technology change, ideally in a safety critical environment and using C, C++ and other structured languages.
- Experience using Unix/Linux
- A minimum HNC level qualification in an Engineering related discipline (or an equivalent/higher qualification, preferably a degree) and have relevant engineering experience.
- Proven experience demonstrating positive teamworking skills.
- Proven consideration to quality vs time when evaluating solution options.
- Application of Software Engineering Lifecycle and associated processes.
- General understanding of the role of Flight Data in Air Traffic Management.
- Documentation generation, ability to generate operational Work Instructions.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office tooling.
Additional vacancy information:
We are proud to offer a fantastic total reward package to help you thrive both personally and professionally. In addition to a competitive salary that’s regularly reviewed, you’ll also benefit from a wide range of other benefits which includes generous leave entitlement, a market-leading defined contribution pension scheme, a range of voluntary benefits and retail discounts, wellness support and a comprehensive learning and development offering.
We have adopted agile working to provide greater flexibility and increased choice over working arrangements, with the opportunity for this role to work in our modern office facilities as well as remotely. We also welcome discussions on flexible and part-time working arrangements. Find out more here.
If you share our passion to advance aviation and keep the skies safe – we would like to hear from you whatever your age, sex, race, faith, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, visible or invisible disability. Individuals that bring different perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds help us be at the forefront of our industry.