NATS is the UK’s leading air navigation service provider, handling over 2 million flights each year. It provides air traffic control services from two control centres supporting airports all around the UK, as well as a wide range of commercial solutions to over 30 countries internationally. Our people are at the heart of our purpose to advance aviation and keep the skies safe.
We are undergoing a period of rapid change, driven by:
- Changes to the landscape we operate within – reducing environmental impacts of aviation, integrating unmanned air systems into controlled airspace, supporting UK space industry; and
- Technical refresh of our core systems and technologies to enable improved service to our customers.
To meet our challenges, we are recruiting a Systems Engineer within the Engineering Analysis Domain of our Technical Services function. The successful candidate will routinely monitor the performance of the existing metrological and messaging systems well as investigate anomalies and support projects delivering the next generation of air traffic management systems.
This role will require you to have experience in analysis and proven ability to deliver technical work packages. It is accepted that analysis of metrological and messaging systems is a specialist skill thus NATS will provide training in the methods and tools used within the domain.
Other Duties include:
- Systems Specialist to perform day to day and strategic administration, maintenance (planned and corrective) on delegated Systems to agreed operational levels.
- Production and validation of operational and maintenance procedures and for reviewing updated system documentation. Maintain configuration records for hardware, software and adaptation for designated systems.
- Support testing with suppliers and customers.
Essential skills and experience:
- Analysis of large data sets and delivery of complex analytical results to a variety of technical and non-technical stakeholders
- The ability to present complex information in a clear and concise manner in both written and verbal mediums.
- A minimum HNC level qualification in an Engineering related discipline (or an equivalent/higher qualification, preferably a degree) and have relevant analysis experience.
- Software engineering or working with Linux scripts.
- Networking knowledge and configuration
- Basic data engineering/data management practices
- Experience of working with virtual machines
- Ability to technically supervise others.
Desirable skills but not essential:
Experience of Air Traffic Control and/or Air Traffic Control surveillance systems
Additional vacancy information
Note – In this is position you will become part of an on-call rota (once competent) so you must live with 1 hour’s commute of Swanwick.
We are proud to offer a fantastic total reward package to help you thrive both personally and professionally. In addition to a competitive salary that’s regularly reviewed, you’ll also benefit from a wide range of other benefits which includes generous leave entitlement, a market-leading defined contribution pension scheme, a range of voluntary benefits and retail discounts, wellness support and a comprehensive learning and development offering.
If you share our passion to advance aviation and keep the skies safe – we would like to hear from you whatever your age, sex, race, faith, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, visible or invisible disability. Individuals that bring different perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds help us be at the forefront of our industry.