Reach plc is looking for a Story Editor to join the team on a six month basis. The successful candidate will develop, design and sub print content packages for all regional print titles from available feeds of digitally-produced content.
So, who are we?
We are Reach plc, you might not have heard of us but we have probably met without you even realising it. We are home to the UK and Ireland’s most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Mirror, Daily Express and OK!, to our regional titles such as the Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more), our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people. We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human. Oh, and we should probably also mention that with a monthly readership of 47 million people, Reach is the largest commercial publisher in the UK. At Reach, not only will you feel better understood, you will also feel you understand other people better too.
What will the role involve?
- Copy-taste and source, design, sub-edit and proof pages under pressure, to deadline and to the required standard
- Manage workload and complete page production process in line with established KPIs and benchmarks
- Ensure tasks are completed in accordance to IPSO and legal requirements
- Carry out tasks in line with the vision, strategy and business plan as laid out by print management team
- Flexible approach to changing shift patterns
- Maintain effective working relationships with commercial, newspaper sales and marketing departments
- Provide edition planning and ad plan management support when required
- Ensure the fair and consistent application of all our people policies, procedures and processes are carried out as directed by print management team
- Be open to receive and act upon constructive in-the-moment performance feedback from managers
- Support the print department in developing a culture of trust, where people are safe to speak up, clear on their role in the team’s success and empowered to be their best at work
- Uphold Reach’s policy around diversity and inclusion and work to ensure our values around non discrimination are upheld in everything we publish.
The Ideal Candidate
- Proven ability in designing, sub-editing and proofing pages
- Copy sourcing and re-writing
- Picture selection and manipulation
- House style and brand positioning understanding
- Work under pressure
- Multi-tasking and time management
- Attention to detail
- Problem-solving and decision making
- Full awareness and understanding of the latest IPSO and legal requirements
What can we offer you?
We are offering a competitive salary and benefits including;
- Help saving for your retirement – join our pension scheme and we’ll match contributions up to 6%
- 25 days’ holiday per year when you join. After three, five and ten years’ service with Reach, you’ll accrue one additional day of annual leave. We also have a Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Giving back day – an additional day’s leave each year to support a cause close to your heart
- Enhanced family leave – including maternity, paternity and adoption – and you’ll be eligible after just six months’ employment
- Private Healthcare Cash Plan – free health cash plan so you can claim back cash for a range of medical expenses
- As one of the UK’s top 50 Inclusive Employers everyone’s invited to join our events, programmes and networks to celebrate diversity and build an environment where all our people can thrive
- Wellbeing support – including a 24/7 assistance programme for you and your nearest and dearest, a free subscription to mindfulness app Headspace and access to free mental health coaching through Sanctus
- Awesome career opportunities – you’ll have support from your line manager and a range of learning & development programmes
- We are a FTSE 250 Company, and also a member of the 30% Club, a global campaign aimed at increasing gender diversity at board and senior management levels.