The Manchester Evening News has an exciting opportunity for a Sports Social Media Editor covering Manchester United and Manchester City.
This is part of our ambitious growth plans, to build relationships with new readers in Manchester. From creating engaging written and video content tailored to a digital audience to showcasing the great work that other members of the team produce, your job will be to reach a wider readership and deliver the news that matters most to them relating to sport.
We are looking for candidates with excellent storytelling techniques, superb social media skills and a deep understanding of how to make content engaging.
So, who are we?
We are Reach plc, you might not have heard of us but we have probably met without you even realising it. We are home to the UK and Ireland’s most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Mirror, Daily Express and OK!, to our regional titles such as the Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more), our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people. We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human.
What will the role involve?
- Manage social media channels in accordance with best practice and priorities
- Use social media analytics to drive audience growth and engagement
- Help to promote and drive interest in newsletters and other new content formats
- Implement projects to grow registered users
- Ensure sports digital content strategy is delivered locally, especially relating to Manchester United and Manchester City
- Find new ways to promote content off–platform and find new readers
- Provide cover for content editors (if experienced) or content writers as and when required.
- Content edit locally sourced material as part of content editing team
- Managing social media and audience relationships as and when required.
Who are we looking for?
- First-class content editing experience
- A clear understanding social media
- Strong team player who can work for benefit of whole network
- Strong people management skills – essential to get this job
- Digital publishing skills
- Working in football will be beneficial
- Social media skills
- Passion for digital storytelling in journalism
- NCTJ or equiv qualification, as this is a journalist role.
- Digital publishing experience
What can we offer you?
- Help saving for your retirement – join our pension scheme and we’ll match contributions up to 6%
- 25 days’ holiday per year when you join. After three, five and ten years’ service with Reach, you’ll accrue one additional day of annual leave. We also have a Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Giving back day – an additional day’s leave each year to support a cause close to your heart
- Enhanced family leave – including maternity, paternity and adoption – and you’ll be eligible after just six months’ employment
- Private Healthcare Cash Plan – free health cash plan so you can claim back cash for a range of medical expenses
- As one of the UK’s top 50 Inclusive Employers everyone’s invited to join our events, programmes and networks to celebrate diversity and build an environment where all our people can thrive
- Awesome career opportunities – you’ll have support from your line manager and a range of learning & development programmes
- We are a FTSE 250 Company, and also a member of the 30% Club, a global campaign aimed at increasing gender diversity at board and senior management levels.