Sports Social Media Editor
Do you want to work for the most exciting media company in the business, covering the best country in the world? As part of our ambitious growth plans, we are looking for a Sports Social Media Editor to build relationships with new readers in Manchester. From creating engaging written and video content tailored to a digital audience to showcasing the great work that other members of the team produce, your job will be to reach a wider readership and deliver the news that matters most to them.
We are looking for candidates with excellent storytelling techniques, superb social media skills and a deep understanding of how to make content engaging.
So, who are we?
Manchester Evening News is part of Reach Plc. You might not have heard of us but we have probably met without you even realising it. We are home to Scotland and the UK’s most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Daily Record and Sunday Mail to the Scottish Daily Express, Glasgow Live, Edinburgh Live and OK!. We also own a huge number of regional titles across the UK such as the Paisley Daily Express, Ayrshire Post, Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more). Our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people. We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human. Oh, and we should probably also mention that with a monthly readership of 47 million people, Reach is the largest commercial publisher in the UK. At Reach, not only will you feel better understood, you will also feel you understand other people better too.
- Manage social media channels in accordance with best practice and priorities
- Use social media analytics to drive audience growth and engagement
- Help to promote and drive interest in newsletters and other new content formats
- Implement projects to grow registered users
- Ensure sports digital content strategy is delivered locally.
- Find new ways to promote content off–platform and find new readers
- Provide cover for content editors (if experienced) or content writers as and when required.
- Content edit locally sourced material as part of content editing team
- Managing social media and audience relationships as and when required.
- Working across sports vertical as and when required
- Writing, regularly, and maintaining a public-facing profile across sites
- First-class content editing experience
- A clear understanding social media
- Strong team player who can work for benefit of whole network
- Strong people management skills – essential to get this job
- Digital publishing skills
- Social media skills
- Passion for digital storytelling in journalism
- NCTJ or equiv qualification
- Deep knowledge of media law
- Successful background in developing people and managing people
- Digital publishing experience
- 25 days holiday per annum when you join. After three, five and ten years’
- service with Reach, you’ll accrue one additional day of annual leave
- Defined progression pathway
- Enhanced Maternity, Partner and Shared Parental Leave benefits
- Contributory pension scheme
- Share save scheme
- Simply Health Cash Plan
- A brilliant induction and learning hub
- Holiday purchase scheme
- Technology purchase scheme
- Car purchase scheme
- Discounted gym membership
- Lots of high street discounts
- Huge focus on Diversity & Inclusion. We have launched 6 networks to drive diversity at work and an inclusive environment, and to give you a voice. We hold panel events with internal and external guest speakers, and provide some really useful resources.
- Huge focus on your wellbeing. Free wellbeing apps and confidential coaching support, with access to free healthcare advice and counselling (available to your and your immediate family members who live in the same household). Some services are available 24/7 via call and live chat.
Reach plc believes diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.