Liverpool Echo is recruiting a new Sport Trends Writer to join the sports desk covering breaking stories, daily news, features and writing around the topics fans care about.
If you get a buzz from finding out what fans are really talking about and want to see your best ideas resonate with a large, highly-engaged audience, then this is the job for you!
The successful applicant will be a self-starter with excellent knowledge of Everton and Liverpool and a provn ability to write interesting and accurate copy at speed. Knowledge of European leagues and the wider game would be a bonus.
Candidates do not need to hold a degree to be considered for the position. Demonstrable experience in a similar role or through freelance work or voluntary projects, such as running a successful blog or website, will also be highly valued in the recruitment process.
Day to day, the job of the trends writer will be to spot opportunities in the topics that fans are discussing on social media, online communities and search engine trends and coming up with the best idea to excite that interest.
There will also be occasional match coverage opportunities along with industry events and interviews with a weekly rota that will include early morning and late evening shifts which can be worked remotely.
We’re looking for fresh ideas and new perspectives from people from a wide range of backgrounds, and we want you to tell us the stories you believe are important from our many communities so we can continue to diversify our content.
So, who are we?
We are Reach plc, you might not have heard of us but we have probably met without you even realising it. We are home to the UK and Ireland’s most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Mirror, Daily Express and OK!, to our regional titles such as the Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more), our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people. We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human. Oh, and we should probably also mention that with a monthly readership of 47 million people, Reach is the largest commercial publisher in the UK. At Reach, not only will you feel better understood, you will also feel you understand other people better too.
- Maximising traffic opportunities by responding to breaking news and trending topics with quick, accurate and well-written copy
- Coming up with original ideas every day on how to add value to the ongoing coverage of stories fans care about
- Writing about multiple topics and stories across the day, determined by where the audience opportunities lie
- Using audience tools to find content opportunities around trending topics and come up with the best angle
- Maintain and promote our content by assisting with live blogging, podcasting, video and other formats
The ideal candidate
- You will demonstrate an excellent understanding of how to find and write for a passionate and knowledgeable football audience to drive traffic with creative ideas on how to respond to trending topics and an ability to write fast, accurate and engaging copy to tight deadlines.
- Experience writing for a digital audience would be preferable, along with an up-to-date knowledge of media law, search engine optimisation and tools such as Chartbeat and Google Trends.
- 25 days holiday per annum when you join. After three, five and ten years’ service with Reach, you’ll accrue one additional day of annual leave
- Enhanced Maternity, Partner and Shared Parental Leave benefits
- Contributory pension scheme
- Share save scheme
- Simply Health Cash Plan
- A brilliant induction and learning hub
- Holiday purchase scheme
- Technology purchase scheme
- Car purchase scheme
- Discounted gym membership
- Lots of high street discounts
- Huge focus on Diversity & Inclusion. We have launched 6 networks to drive diversity at work and an inclusive environment, and to give you a voice. We hold panel events with internal and external guest speakers, and provide some really useful resources.
- Huge focus on your wellbeing. Free wellbeing apps and confidential coaching support, with access to free healthcare advice and counselling (available to your
- and your immediate family members who live in the same household). Some services are available 24/7 via call and live chat.