We are Manchester Evening News!
Do you want to work in one of the country’s most vibrant newsrooms, in the best city in the world?
The award-winning Manchester Evening News is already the largest regional website in the country with a huge audience – but we want to keep growing and reaching even more people..
We are looking for a Journalist to create compelling local search content – answering questions and providing important information for the people living in Greater Manchester.
This may be answering questions such as when Beetham Tower was built or what time supermarkets close in Fallowfield. They will also help with wider regional and UK search content.
The role will require some evening and weekend working.
So, who are we?
Manchester Evening News is part of Reach plc. You might not have heard of us but we have probably met without you even realising it. We are home to the UK and Ireland’s most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Mirror, Daily Express and OK!, to our regional titles such as the Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more), our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people. We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human. Oh, and we should probably also mention that with a monthly readership of 47 million people, Reach is the largest commercial publisher in the UK. At Reach, not only will you feel better understood, you will also feel you understand other people better too.
- Sourcing, creating, producing and sharing engaging local search content around a whole different range of topics
- Helping create national search content around topics including news, TV, and trending content.
- Helping with our regional and national search coverage
- Becoming the expert in your area of expertise, building a following and audience for your content
- Working with the search editor to ensure we have the right content on our site which answers the questions our audience are asking.
- Coming up with search content ideas around news, TV and other subjects
- Creating top quality content to a high standard with pictures, video, audio, strong headlines and an understanding of SEO where necessary
- Using analytics to inform content decisions
- A Reach Plc or equivalent (NCTJ) journalist qualification
- We want you to be passionate about storytelling and have the ability to generate ideas that will engage our audience
- You’ll have an understanding of SEO and social media as well experience using web publishing systems
- Someone who is keen to learn and writes well
- First-class communication and organisational skills
- The ability to use and apply learning through digital analytics
- Up-to-date knowledge of media law and IPSO code
We are offering a competitive salary and benefits including;
- Help saving for your retirement – join our pension scheme and we’ll match contributions up to 6%
- 25 days’ holiday per year when you join. After three, five and ten years’ service with Reach, you’ll accrue one additional day of annual leave. We also have a Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Giving back day – an additional day’s leave each year to support a cause close to your heart
- Enhanced family leave– including maternity, paternity and adoption – and you’ll be eligible after just six months’ employment
- Private Healthcare Cash Plan – free health cash plan so you can claim back cash for a range of medical expenses
- As one of the UK’s top 50 Inclusive Employers everyone’s invited to join our events, programmes and networks to celebrate diversity and build an environment where all our people can thrive
- Wellbeing support – including a 24/7 assistance programme for you and your nearest and dearest, a free subscription to mindfulness app Headspace and access to free mental health coaching through Sanctus
- Awesome career opportunities – you’ll have support from your line manager and a range of learning & development programmes
- We are a FTSE 250 Company, and also a member of the 30% Club, a global campaign aimed at increasing gender diversity at board and senior management levels.
Reach plc believes diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.