Are you obsessed with celebrity gossip? Can you tell your Kardashian kids apart and know exactly which Love Islander is going to cause the next Twitter storm? Can you predict the next TV search opportunity, and write vibrant and exciting showbiz stories with brilliant headlines that stand out from our rivals?
We are looking for two excellent Showbiz SEO Writers to join our growing national editorial team and work across the Mirror and Daily Star. The successful candidates will take on a vital role producing unique content to attract a new audience, designing strategies to maximise relevant search opportunities (whether that’s on The Masked Singer or the latest Covid rules), and promoting search best practice among colleagues.
For these roles we require someone who has knowledge and experience with SEO and holds an NCTJ or equivalent journalism training. A passion for all things TV, showbiz and celeb is a must.
We’re also looking for somebody comfortable with a mixture of home- and office-working and who can adapt to a flexible team rota.
This is a six-month contract with the possibility of expansion.
So, who are we?
Hello, we are Reach! You might not have heard of us but we have probably met without you even realising it. We are home to the UK and Ireland’s most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Mirror, Daily Express and OK!, to our regional titles such as the Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more), our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people.
We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human. Oh, and we should probably also mention that with a monthly readership of 47 million people, Reach is the largest commercial publisher in the UK. At Reach, not only will you feel better understood, you will also feel you understand other people better too.
What will the role involve?
- Write high-quality and well researched search-focused stories around trending topics
- Identify search opportunities and content gaps, making proactive suggestions for how to drive search performance forwards
- Provide dedicated SEO support and help plan content for key dates eg. general elections, royal weddings, Christmas
- Create and/or optimise evergreen articles, tags and topic pages
- Help develop SEO best practices and SEO guidance to share among the wider team
- Make daily recommendations to editors and reporters, and create content based on trending topics and breaking news
Who are we looking for?
- A first-class writer ideally with 1 year of newsroom experience or equivalent
- A good knowledge of SEO (some familiarity with SEO tools would be useful but is not essential eg. Google Trends, Search Console or SEMRush)
- A confident and proactive communicator
What can we offer you?
- Help saving for your retirement – join our pension scheme and we’ll match contributions up to 6%
- 25 days’ holiday per year when you join. After three, five and ten years’ service with Reach, you’ll accrue one additional day of annual leave. We also have a Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Giving back day – an additional day’s leave each year to support a cause close to your heart
- Private Healthcare Cash Plan – free health cash plan so you can claim back cash for a range of medical expenses
- As one of the UK’s top 50 Inclusive Employers everyone’s invited to join our events, programmes and networks to celebrate diversity and build an environment where all our people can thrive
- Wellbeing support – including a 24/7 assistance programme for you and your nearest and dearest, a free subscription to mindfulness app Headspace and access to free mental health coaching through Sanctus
- Awesome career opportunities – you’ll have support from your line manager and a range of learning & development programmes
- We are a FTSE 250 Company, and also a member of the 30% Club, a global campaign aimed at increasing gender diversity at board and senior management levels.
Reach plc believes diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.