Hastings Direct utilises Guidewire Insurance Suite Administration systems with SQL Server as the database back end. It also has various in house built and maintained SQL Server based applications and ETL processes.
In addition, our estate is being migrated to Azure, and so experience of Azure pipelines, DevOps, ADF, and Azure databases and the opportunities these represent would be beneficial.
You will support application engineers in their choices of design within the restrictions of the third-party administration systems, as well as ETL and Data Engineers in their choices around database design in any of their owned solutions. This is with an emphasis on best practice especially in terms of performance and capacity.
It is expected that whilst the role will be part of the Hastings Direct change function they will work closely with Production operational teams as well, especially Production DBAs and Performance engineering.
Design and development:
- Support of the design of SQL Server Objects and data access in conjunction with SQL ETL and Data Engineers, and Application Engineers where their decisions result in the automatic creation of database objects.
- Adherence and Maintenance to Standards. Peer review and feedback.
- Where appropriate, delivery of database related change.
- Involvement with the strategy on how non optimal performance should be identified and monitored.
- Establishment of performance baseline and trending where appropriate.
- Analysis of query performance.
- Recommendations, and where appropriate ownership of delivery of, for example table, index and query design.
Database Release Management:
- Increased automation of the deployment of database changes through the various environments up to and including Production
Monitoring of performance:
- Support of Production monitoring.
- Ownership of the monitoring in relevant high volume non-production environments such as NFT or Live Timings.
- Support for development database administration.
Knowledge and Experience
- 5+ years practical experience working in a similar role, with databases terabytes in size.
- SQL Server: Database Design (OLTP), Query Performance Tuning, Index Design, T-SQL Scripting, SQL Agent, Database Administration.
- Time and task self-management.
- Data Security and Data Protection knowledge and experience.
- Guidewire InsuranceSuite experience.
- SQL Server on Azure (all current hosted SQL Servers moving to Azure hosting or Azure SQL Server Instances).
- Other Azure Databases (e.g. COSMOS) and Azure Services (e.g. Devops, ADF)
- SSIS deployment and configuration.
- Other Database platforms (DBMS or Big Data).
- Data warehouse design.
- PowerShell, Python, JSON, XML, PowerApps, Visual Studio, Visual Studio Code.
- Agile delivery methodologies.
- SDLC including code depository, merging and promotion considerations. CI-CD.
- Documentation and communication – design, analysis, and recommendation.
Hastings Group is an equal opportunities employer which means we treat people fairly. We welcome applications from all suitably skilled persons regardless of their gender, age, race, disability, ethnic background, religion/belief, sexual orientation, gender reassignment or marital/family status. Please also note that we have a thorough referencing process, which includes credit and criminal record checks.