Mirror Online is looking for a Senior Reporter with experience of a national newsroom to join our Showbiz team. We’re searching for a dynamic reporter who knows their soap stars from their superstars. You will be full of ideas and be ahead of the curve in terms of current hit series, the hottest Netflix up-and-comers, and the ones we’ll be raving about in the weeks and months to come.
This is a fantastic opportunity for a trained digital journalist, with knowledge of SEO and social media, to join a fast-paced online newsroom. So if you’re obsessed with Strictly, have your ear close to the ground (or castle walls of Wales) for I’m A Celeb scoops, or know what Piers Morgan’s going to say on GMB before he says it, this could be the ideal role for you.
You will be expected to lead by example, sourcing the best stories and unearthing the strongest lines from Kardashians to Katie Price. As part of your development, you will also be expected to lead shifts on the Showbiz desk from time to time, subbing others’ copy and setting the news agenda.
Please note this position involves shift work, including night shifts and weekends, due to the nature of the role.
This role is predominantly working from home with some time available in the London office.
So, who are we?
Reach plc is home to the UK and Ireland’s most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Mirror, Daily Express and OK!, to our regional titles such as the Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more), our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people. We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human. Oh, and we should probably also mention that with a monthly readership of 47 million people, Reach is the largest commercial publisher in the UK. At Reach, not only will you feel better understood, you will also feel you understand other people better too.
What will the role involve?
- Generate and cover day-to-day Showbiz news, ensuring that the focus is always on the site’s most-searchable stories.
- Show an understanding of the biggest TV shows and names for Mirror Online and ensure a steady flow of content around these topics.
- Use your PR contacts to pull in exclusive interviews and news stories that will deliver a richness of content to the site.
- Push content via Facebook and Twitter, in accordance with the digital social media policy.
- Optimise stories in accordance with the digital SEO strategy.
- Able to react quickly to breaking news stories.
- Wherever possible, identify unique headlines and angles for stories covered elsewhere to make content more searchable.
- Write and edit in accordance with digital house style.
- Read all the other competitor sites and form a thorough knowledge of competitors.
- Monitor Twitter for content.
Who are we looking for?
- You will have worked in digital at a national news level and will be comfortable with securing and producing content in this fast and reactive digital world.
- You will have the ability to work under pressure to tight deadlines, multitask, forward plan and develop relationships with PRs.
- You will be a confident digital journalist with familiarity with CMS and analytics tools.
- You will show attention to detail and have a keen interest in the developments of the TV/showbiz world.
- NCTJ or equivalent journalism degree with a clear understanding of Media Law is essential.
What can we offer you?
We are offering a competitive salary and benefits including;
- Help saving for your retirement – join our pension scheme and we’ll match contributions up to 6%
- 25 days’ holiday per year when you join. After three, five and ten years’ service with Reach, you’ll accrue one additional day of annual leave. We also have a Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Giving back day – an additional day’s leave each year to support a cause close to your heart
- Private Healthcare Cash Plan – free health cash plan so you can claim back cash for a range of medical expenses
- As one of the UK’s top 50 Inclusive Employers everyone’s invited to join our events, programmes and networks to celebrate diversity and build an environment where all our people can thrive
- Wellbeing support – including a 24/7 assistance programme for you and your nearest and dearest, a free subscription to mindfulness app Headspace and access to free mental health coaching through Sanctus
- Awesome career opportunities – you’ll have support from your line manager and a range of learning & development programmes
- We are a FTSE 250 Company, and also a member of the 30% Club, a global campaign aimed at increasing gender diversity at board and senior management levels.