Do you want to work with one of Britain’s best-loved and most trusted news brands in one of the country’s busiest and most vibrant newsrooms? The Liverpool Echo already has a large, loyal and engaged readership and now we’re looking for committed and creative reporters to help us step up to the next level.
Ideally, a senior, we are looking for an experienced and passionate journalist. We want someone who is as comfortable covering court and reporting live on-camera from breaking news scenes as they are sourcing real life stories and writing identity content that resonates with our local audience.
You will have a passion for storytelling, a desire to experiment with new and innovative techniques and the ability to inform and inspire our readers and make a real difference to their lives.
We’re looking for fresh ideas and new perspectives from people from a wide range of backgrounds and candidates who understand the issues that are important to our region’s very many different communities so we can continue to really diversify our content.
This role has the ability to be flexible, we are open to candidates that are looking for full time, condensed or reduced hours.
This role is home and hub based linked to our Liverpool Hub. We are therefore open to candidates based in and around Liverpool.
What will the role involve?
- Find and tell stories about local communities which engages as many readers as possible, or stories which will be of interest to local communities
- Build communities online and in real life to share stories with once published, and engaged with readers about those stories
- Tell stories in many different ways, including (but not limited to) real-time live blogs, article format, video, audio and pictures
- Ensure every piece of content is thoroughly researched and balanced prior to publication, in accordance with the Editor’s Code of practice
- This role includes weekend working, this will typically involve 1 weekend in every 4
What are we looking for?
- NCTJ or equivalent journalism degree and knowledge of media law
- Digital publishing skills – working a CMS, shooting video, taking pictures
- Social media skills – following on social media, track record of building communities on social media
- Passion for digital storytelling in local journalism
- Strong track record in telling stories, accurately, which engage large audience
- Knowledge of SEO or a willingness to learn
- A full driving licence
What can we offer you?
We are offering a competitive salary and benefits including;
- Help saving for your retirement – join our pension scheme and we’ll match contributions up to 6%
- 25 days’ holiday per year when you join. After three, five and ten years’ service with Reach, you’ll accrue one additional day of annual leave. We also have a Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Giving back day – an additional day’s leave each year to support a cause close to your heart
- Enhanced family leave – including maternity, paternity and adoption – and you’ll be eligible after just six months’ employment
- Private Healthcare Cash Plan – free health cash plan so you can claim back cash for a range of medical expenses
- As one of the UK’s top 50 Inclusive Employers everyone’s invited to join our events, programmes and networks to celebrate diversity and build an environment where all our people can thrive
- Wellbeing support – including a 24/7 assistance programme for you and your nearest and dearest, a free subscription to mindfulness app Headspace and access to free mental health coaching through Sanctus
- Awesome career opportunities – you’ll have support from your line manager and a range of learning & development programmes
- We are also a member of the 30% Club, a global campaign aimed at increasing gender diversity at board and senior management levels
Reach plc believes diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.