Are you an experienced reporter who can lead by example and show more junior staff how to achieve their potential? If so, the Daily Star wants to hear from you. We’re seeking a Senior Reporter to join our digital-first news team. We are looking for a dynamic all-rounder capable of working to tight deadlines in our busy, integrated newsroom.
You should get a buzz from the thrill of covering the biggest and best breaking news and developing stories. Those who are social media savvy and able to turn their hand to every type of news will stand a greater chance of success. You should also be open to stepping up to help out on the desk when required.
Above all else, we want an imaginative and enthusiastic journalist who’s brimming with ideas. Experience on the nationals and/or in a digital news environment would be useful, as would local/regional newspaper or agency experience. Candidates must be NCTJ qualified or equivalent. This is an exciting opportunity to join a rapidly expanding digital news operation.
So, who are we?
We are Reach plc, you might not have heard of us but we have probably met without you even realising it. We are home to the UK and Ireland’s most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Mirror, Daily Express and OK!, to our regional titles such as the Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more), our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people. We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human. Oh, and we should probably also mention that with a monthly readership of 47 million people, Reach is the largest commercial publisher in the UK. At Reach, not only will you feel better understood, you will also feel you understand other people better too.
- The successful candidate will cover breaking news, quickly, as it happens, ensuring it’s as engaging as it can be.
- You will show an understanding of the website’s key content and quickly develop a feel for the stories which work best for our readers.
- Use your contacts to pull in exclusive interviews and news stories.
- Push content via Facebook and Twitter in accordance with the digital social media policy.
- Optimise stories in accordance with the digital SEO strategy.
- Write and edit in accordance with the digital house style.
- Read competitor sites and form a thorough knowledge of the content which works best for the Daily Star.
- Monitor news wires and social media for content and breaking news.
- You will be a qualified and experienced journalist, possessing at least 18 months’ experience at a national or major regional title.
- Passionate about delivering a wide range of news stories, from hard news to shareable, irreverent content, you will understand what works for a digital audience and deliver content to prove this.
- You must have sound legal knowledge, with first class editing, writing and subbing skills. You will relish the daily challenge of working under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- The successful candidate must be flexible as this role will involve working days, nights and weekends on a rota basis. You will be social media savvy with current SEO knowledge. Experience of a CMS and Chartbeat or Google Analytics is desirable.
We are offering a competitive salary and benefits including;
- 25 days holiday per annum
- Contributory pension scheme
- Holiday purchase scheme
- Simply Health Healthcare Cashplan
- Free wellbeing apps and coaching support
- Share save scheme
- Inclusion Networks and Champions, giving all employees a voice
- Lots of high street discounts!
Reach plc believes diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.