Retail Pricing are responsible for developing and delivering Hastings’ street pricing strategy, driving commercial performance whilst ensuring fair customer outcomes. The team of pricing & data science experts set prices that maximise the value generated through customer acquisition and retention by using advanced machine learning, statistical and optimisation techniques to model both customer behaviour and the dynamic, highly competitive UK price comparison market Hastings operates in.
Senior Data Scientists will work with our data scientists, pricing managers and analysts to deliver optimised street prices that meet business needs, as well as shaping the development of our pricing strategy.
About the role
- You will come up with new ideas, investigating new techniques and developing new approaches to keep our pricing capability one step ahead of the market
- You’ll have a keen eye to identify, evaluate and implement new sources of data to improve our models, as well as wringing more value from existing sources with insightful feature engineering
- You’ll enjoy digging into test results and investigating the accuracy of predicted outcomes, to identify opportunities for improvement
- You will review the data, analytical and modelling outputs of the team, to ensure our high standards are met, as well as keeping yourself up to date with the latest thinking in the insurance and data science arenas
- You’ll enjoy inspiring a team of junior data scientists
- Degree (Masters preferred) in a numerical discipline (e.g. mathematics, sciences, engineering, computing)
- 4+ years working in a pricing, analytical, modelling or data science role
- SQL and experience working with large or complex datasets
- R/Python/Matlab or coding statistical methods in other languages
- H2O/scikit-learn/MLlib or other ML packages/frameworks
- Practical predictive modelling experience, whether statistical (e.g. GLM) or machine learning
- Mentoring/training, project or line management of junior colleagues
- Has great ideas and sets the agenda – it’s a competitive market out there
- Creative thinker and problem solver – we’ve always got new challenges
- Cares about the detail – because small errors can have big impacts
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment – organisation and multi-tasking are key
- Hungry for knowledge – always seeking to learn, develop and come up with new ideas
- Communicates effectively – because our stakeholders aren’t data scientists
Benefits for you
For us, flexibility is key. Alongside the financials of a pension contribution match up to 10%, £5,000 car allowance, 27 days of holiday (which you can buy or sell more of) and up to 10% bonus, we are an agile group that understands talent hasn’t got a template. Our team is spread across offices in London and Bexhill, with options to work from home to suit you and variable hours, we can commit to moulding the role to you.
Hastings Group is an equal opportunities employer which means we treat people fairly. We welcome applications from all suitably skilled persons regardless of their gender, age, race, disability, ethnic background, religion/belief, sexual orientation, gender reassignment or marital/family status. Please also note that we have a thorough referencing process, which includes credit and criminal record checks.