Job: Senior Clinical Physiologist
Location: Bupa Cromwell Hospital, 164 – 178 Cromwell Road, Kensington, London, SW5 0TU
Salary: Highly competitive plus excellent benefits package
Duration: Full time, permanent
A bit about us
Bupa is one of the most well-known and respected healthcare businesses in the world, because what we do matters. From our contact centres to our care homes; health and dental centres to our state of the art hospitals across all four corners of the globe, every part of our operations are dedicated to our purpose of helping people live longer, healthier, happier lives. We pride ourselves on working with brilliant people who put our patients at the heart of everything they do.
What you’ll be doing
This is a senior role in a rapidly growing Respiratory Department based in the Clinical Investigation Centre at Bupa Cromwell Hospital. You shall be expected to support the service manager in the daily running of the Lung Centre and act as deputy in their absence. The role also requires a flair for teaching, assertiveness and an eye for detail in all laboratory related routines, technical and non-technical, particularly those that are part of the Quality Assurance plan in place.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
Be competent and perform a range of procedures on patients of all ages. The range of breathing and sleep tests in line with the role are:
- Fitness-to-Fly assessments (HCT)
- Hyperventilation and Dysfunctional breathing (HPVT);
- Bronchial Provocation Studies (Mannitol and Methacholine);
- Respiratory Muscle Strength Assessment;
- 6-Minute Walk Tests (6MWT);
- Capillary Blood Gases (ear sampling);
- Skin Prick Allergy Testing;
- Reversibility Studies;
- Lung Function Tests;
Sleep and Ventilation Services
- Multi-Channel Sleep Studies (set-up, analysis and reporting).
- Initiation, Support and Troubleshooting of Ventilation (CPAP/NIV).
- Contributing to the interpretation of all conventional and complex respiratory and sleep diagnostics within service provision.
- Support in the delivery and oversight of a Quality Assurance (QA) plan for respiratory and sleep diagnostics. This must include equipment maintenance, servicing and quality control (physical/biological); training, mentoring and competency review of team members, reviewing and updating procedures.
- Have a leading role in the implementation and development of an audit plan to become an integral part of the QA routines in place.
Contribute to the development and growth of the Paediatric Respiratory Physiology services in the Lung Centre.
Have a good understanding of private healthcare service delivery, to be flexible and adapt to change whilst continuing to develop robust in laboratory day-to-day routines.
Perform regular stock checks and stock control of all items required to carry out the daily tasks and diagnostic tests within service provision.
- Contribute regularly to the delivery (business agenda, service update) and expertise of departmental and local multidisciplinary meetings (Lung MDT).
- Work closely, as part of a team, with all stakeholders (Consultants, Nursing, Physiotherapists, equipment specialists/engineers, allied health professionals and patient representatives) to improve service delivery and standards of care.
- Ensure that reports are generated for exams performed in accordance with departmental protocols and according to reporting turnaround time.
- Understand implications of Integrated Governance and adhere to hospital governance policies including the reporting of incidents and near misses.
- Work with each respiratory consultant and their secretarial teams to coordinate the administrative tasks within outpatient clinics.
The successful candidate:
- BSc Degree in Clinical Physiology / Healthcare Science
- Current ILS certification
- Competent in an array of conventional lung function tests
- Ability to work unsupervised in complex respiratory diagnostic tests
- Experience of setting up, analysing and interpreting respiratory sleep studies
- Knowledge of troubleshooting of patients on CPAP
- High level of technical and operational knowledge within a lung laboratory
We’re an inclusive organisation that celebrates diversity and welcomes everyone – all talents and backgrounds. Bupa strives to make sure that every applicant is assessed solely on the basis of personal merit and qualifications, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, marital or civil partner status, gender reassignment, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, disability or age.
To view our fantastic range of employee benefits, please visit https://careers.bupa.co.uk/our-roles/nurses/cromwell-hospital/
To be part of this highly supportive and passionate team, please submit your CV or contact Louise Griffiths, Senior Specialist Recruiter at Bupa, on 07714 073450 or for further information.