NATS is the UK’s leading air navigation service provider, handling over 2 million flights each year. It provides air traffic control services from two control centres supporting airports all around the UK, as well as a wide range of commercial solutions to over 30 countries internationally. Our people are at the heart of our purpose to advance aviation and keep the skies safe.
As a Safety Strategy Specialist, you will support the maintenance and implementation of the NATS Safety Strategy and Plan ensuring alignment with the corporate strategy, by assisting in the delivery of Safety & Sustainability activities in support of the Strategy.
You will provide safety input in the development of the Safety Management Manual (SMM) and associated learning material ensuring that it remains compliant with the current and future regulatory frameworks and is efficient and effective for the business.
- Manage the Unit Safety Plan Tool and engage with Airport and En-Route safety representatives to ensure that the tool meets the needs of the users.
- Provide safety knowledge and advice internally within NATS and to other organisations on safety processes, techniques, standards, and best practices.
- Support with the resolution of Regulatory findings relating to the SMM as necessary.
- Ensure the SMM is effective and efficient for the business and continually improved while remaining compliant
- Advise on the benefits to the NATS business of future safety methodologies
- Provide direct technical safety advice and Support across the business, in matters relating to the NATS SMM.
- Challenge the business on the suitability and effectiveness of current safety assurance methodologies.
- Good honours degree in a numerate subject (which could be scientific or business oriented) or equivalent (e.g., other STEM qualification supplemented by relevant work experience).
- Experience of working in a safety critical or highly regulated environment (e.g. the aviation, public transport, medical or nuclear industry sectors).
- Good knowledge of the practical application of Safety Management Systems, particularly those SMS related to the operation of Safety Critical Systems.
- Understanding of a variety of safety management approaches to the measurement of safety risk and demonstration of safety.
- Ability to apply innovative thinking to deliver safety in a tailored and proportionate manner.
- A strong commitment to the attainment of company and personal goals.
- Experience of analytical, technical, and scientific tools/techniques to generate data-driven solutions and decisions.
Note: references to ‘safety’ in this Vacancy Notice are to be read as pertaining to ‘operational aviation safety’
Additional Vacancy Information
This role is a Fixed Term Contract up to 12 months.
We are proud to offer a fantastic total reward package to help you thrive both personally and professionally. In addition to a competitive salary that’s regularly reviewed, you’ll also benefit from a wide range of other benefits which includes generous leave entitlement, a market-leading defined contribution pension scheme, a range of voluntary benefits and retail discounts, wellness support and a comprehensive learning and development offering.
We have adopted agile working to provide greater flexibility and increased choice over working arrangements, with the opportunity for this role to work in our modern office facilities as well as remotely. We also welcome discussions on flexible and part-time working arrangements. Find out more here.
If you share our passion to advance aviation and keep the skies safe – we would like to hear from you whatever your age, sex, race, faith, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, visible or invisible disability. Individuals that bring different perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds help us be at the forefront of our industry.