This role exists to find and report on the stories and issues which matter to people in Wales in a way which ensures as many people as possible discover and respond to our work. You will be working on one of the UK’s best and biggest regional news websites.
We are looking for journalists who are curious to find out what’s going on down their street, who find time to listen to conversations and ask what they can add, and who believe journalism does its best when it is read by as many people as possible. You’ll want to write stories which make people come back to our site time and again, and be as comfortable picking up a breaking live blog as you are spending time off diary on that story which is really worth it. We’re looking for fresh ideas and new perspectives from people from a wide range of backgrounds, and we want you to tell us the stories you believe are important from our many communities so we can continue to diversify our content. You will be part of our large Cardiff-based team, covering exciting, breaking and fascinating stories from across that area while also getting the chance to cover stories on lots of different subjects on a regular basis.
So, who are we?
We are Reach Plc, you might not have heard of us but we have probably met without you even realising it. We are home to the UK and Ireland’s most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Mirror, Daily Express and OK!, to our regional titles such as the Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more), our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people. We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human.
Oh, and we should probably also mention that with a monthly readership of 47 million people, Reach is the largest commercial publisher in the UK. At Reach, not only will you feel better understood, you will also feel you understand other people better too.
This role is home working linked to our Cardiff Hub. We are therefore open to candidates based in an area commutable to Cardiff.
What will the role involve?
- Find and tell stories which engage as many readers as possible, and stories which will be of interest to local communities
- Build communities online and in real life to share stories with once published, and engage with readers about those stories
- Take your own steps to bring people to your stories, via social media and newsletters
- Tell stories in many different ways, including (but not limited to) real-time live blogs and broadcasts, articles, videos, audio and pictures
- Ensure every piece of content is thoroughly researched and balanced prior to publication, in accordance with the Editor’s Code of practice
- Act up or cover in other roles as and when required by the business
- Uphold Reach’s policy around diversity and inclusion and work to ensure our values around non discrimination are upheld in everything we publish
- This role includes weekend working, this will typically involve 1 weekend in every 4
Who are we looking for?
- Ideally, you will have, or be working towards, your NCTJ or equivalent journalism degree. But we also want to hear from people with a passion for journalism who may be entering the profession via different means
- Digital publishing skills – working a CMS, shooting video, taking pictures, presenting to camera
- You will love all things social media and use these skills to build audiences and communities ensuring content in shared on social platforms
- Creative and passionate about quality digital storytelling in local journalism
- Driving licence is preferable
What can we offer you?
We are offering a competitive salary and benefits including;
- Help saving for your retirement – join our pension scheme and we’ll match contributions up to 6%
- 25 days’ holiday per year when you join. After three, five and ten years’ service with Reach, you’ll accrue one additional day of annual leave. We also have a Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Giving back day – an additional day’s leave each year to support a cause close to your heart
- Enhanced family leave – including maternity, paternity and adoption – and you’ll be eligible after just six months’ employment
- Private Healthcare Cash Plan – free health cash plan so you can claim back cash for a range of medical expenses
- As one of the UK’s top 50 Inclusive Employers everyone’s invited to join our events, programmes and networks to celebrate diversity and build an environment where all our people can thrive
- Wellbeing support – including a 24/7 assistance programme for you and your nearest and dearest, a free subscription to mindfulness app Headspace and access to free mental health coaching through Sanctus
- Awesome career opportunities – you’ll have support from your line manager and a range of learning & development programmes
- We are a FTSE 250 Company, and also a member of the 30% Club, a global campaign aimed at increasing gender diversity at board and senior management levels