OxfordshireLive has an exciting opportunity for a multimedia journalist. Since launching in September the site has rapidly grown and we’re looking for a creative and dynamic writer to help us to continue that journey.
The role will involve being the voice of two weekly newsletters, championing Oxfordshire’s hidden gems and food and drink, so you’ll need to be passionate about engaging with our readers and not afraid to share your thoughts on the county. One day you could be discovering unassuming breakfast spots, while the next you may be unearthing the little known history of some of the area’s communities.
We’re looking for someone who has a great eye for news, is comfortable producing high quality features and most of all delivering creative digital storytelling. You’ll be joining a great team, who have the county’s best interests at heart, and aren’t afraid to try something new.
We’re looking for someone who is keen to get out and about getting to the heart of our communities and bringing fresh ideas and new perspectives from people from a wide range of backgrounds.
So, who are we?
We are Reach Plc, you might not have heard of us but we have probably met without you even realising it. We are home to the UK and Ireland’s most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Mirror, Daily Express and OK!, to our regional titles such as the Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more), our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people. We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human.
Oh, and we should probably also mention that with a monthly readership of 47 million people, Reach is the largest commercial publisher in the UK. At Reach, not only will you feel better understood, you will also feel you understand other people better too.
This role is home working on patch and we are therefore open to candidates based in Oxfordshire.
What will the role involve?
- Find and tell stories about local communities which engages as many readers as possible, or stories which will be of interest to local communities
- Build communities online and in real life to share stories with once published, and engaged with readers about those stories
- Tell stories in many different ways, including (but not limited to) real-time live blogs, article format, video, audio and pictures
- Ensure every piece of content is thoroughly researched and balanced prior to publication, in accordance with the Editor’s Code of practice
- Act up or cover in other roles as and when required by the business
- Uphold Reach’s policy around diversity and inclusion and work to ensure our values around non discrimination are upheld in everything we publish
- This role includes weekend working, this will typically involve 1 weekend in every 3
Who are we looking for?
- NCTJ or equivalent journalism degree and knowledge of media law
- You are creative and passionate, with an awareness of quality digital storytelling
- Digital publishing skills – working a CMS, shooting video, taking pictures. A proven track record for digital storytelling.
- Social media skills – following on social media, track record of building communities on social media
- We want you to tell us the stories you believe are important from our many diverse communities as we seek to grow new audiences
- A driving licence is preferable for this role
What can we offer you?
We are offering a competitive salary and benefits including;
- Help saving for your retirement – join our pension scheme and we’ll match contributions up to 6%
- 25 days’ holiday per year when you join. After three, five and ten years’ service with Reach, you’ll accrue one additional day of annual leave. We also have a Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Giving back day – an additional day’s leave each year to support a cause close to your heart
- Enhanced family leave – including maternity, paternity and adoption – and you’ll be eligible after just six months’ employment
- Private Healthcare Cash Plan – free health cash plan so you can claim back cash for a range of medical expenses
- As one of the UK’s top 50 Inclusive Employers everyone’s invited to join our events, programmes and networks to celebrate diversity and build an environment where all our people can thrive
- Wellbeing support – including a 24/7 assistance programme for you and your nearest and dearest, a free subscription to mindfulness app Headspace and access to free mental health coaching through Sanctus
- Awesome career opportunities – you’ll have support from your line manager and a range of learning & development programmes
- We are a member of the 30% Club, a global campaign aimed at increasing gender diversity at board and senior management levels.