Do you want to work for one of the country’s most creative and successful regional newsrooms?
HullLive is the go-to, award-winning platform for news, sport and information covering Hull and East Yorkshire.
We have a fantastic team of journalists providing rolling, breaking news coverage through the week, as well as investigations, campaigns and community reporting. We are one of the top 15 websites in the UK regional news market, according to Comscore.
Now we need another journalist to join our team and help us grow even further.
We are looking for somebody with excellent storytelling techniques, superb social media skills, and a deep understanding of how to make content engaging. You will need to be able to tell stories in words, pictures, video and audio in a way that engages with our audiences, in both news and feature format, covering everything from the crime, the cost of living and real life features to the latest TV trends.
We’re looking for fresh ideas and new perspectives from people from a wide range of backgrounds, and we want you to tell us the stories you believe are important from our many communities so we can continue to diversify our content.
So, who are we?
We are Reach Plc, you might not have heard of us but we have probably met without you even realising it. We are home to the UK and Ireland’s most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Mirror, Daily Express and OK!, to our regional titles such as the Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more), our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people. We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human.
Oh, and we should probably also mention that with a monthly readership of 47 million people, Reach is the largest commercial publisher in the UK. At Reach, not only will you feel better understood, you will also feel you understand other people better too.
This role has the ability to be flexible, this could look like full time, part time, condensed or reduced hours. If you’re looking for a flexible role please advise what you’re looking for in the application form.
This role is home and hub based linked to our Hull Hub. We are therefore open to candidates based in and around Hull & East Yorkshire.
What will the role involve?
- Telling stories through pictures, video, audio, live blogs and other interactive digital storytelling tools, using innovative techniques that grow audiences and engagement
- Taking a ‘right-first-time’ approach to all content and have a pedantic attitude to accuracy
- Identifying breaking news by utilising social media as a way to quickly establish further factual information that will support stories
- Using a range of digital formats that will enhance coverage and increase brand visibility
- Providing live coverage of news and events for live blogs and breaking news as required
- Writing content responsively, driven by analytics to deliver on audience trends
- Taking responsibility for a content theme such as a geographic area, campaign or another area of interest, as directed
- Effectively build strong contacts for story-gathering in local communities
- This role includes weekend working, this will typically involve 1 weekend in every 3
Who are we looking for?
- Ideally an NCTJ or equivalent journalism degree and knowledge of media law, we will consider candidates with relevant time served
- Ideally, you will have experience working in a newsroom
- Understanding of digital publishing including SEO
- Solid understanding of social media and comfortable using social publishing tools
- Up-to-date legal and IPSO code knowledge
- Full driving licence is preferable
What can we offer you?
We are offering a competitive salary and benefits including;
- Help saving for your retirement – join our pension scheme and we’ll match contributions up to 6%
- 25 days’ holiday per year when you join. After three, five and ten years’ service with Reach, you’ll accrue one additional day of annual leave. We also have a Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Giving back day – an additional day’s leave each year to support a cause close to your heart
- Enhanced family leave – including maternity, paternity and adoption – and you’ll be eligible after just six months’ employment
- Private Healthcare Cash Plan – free health cash plan so you can claim back cash for a range of medical expenses
- As one of the UK’s top 50 Inclusive Employers everyone’s invited to join our events, programmes and networks to celebrate diversity and build an environment where all our people can thrive
- Wellbeing support – including a 24/7 assistance programme for you and your nearest and dearest, a free subscription to mindfulness app Headspace and access to free mental health coaching through Sanctus
- Awesome career opportunities – you’ll have support from your line manager and a range of learning & development programmes
- We are also a member of the 30% Club, a global campaign aimed at increasing gender diversity at board and senior management levels