Teesside Live is a modern, trusted news website that is fiercely proud of Teesside and its passionate people and places. We exist to keep readers informed about everything happening in the wider Tees Valley area, both good and bad; what’s planned and going on in the area; and to champion and celebrate everything that makes Teesside special, covering stories from Hartlepool to Yarm, Stockton to Saltburn and everything in between. Our digital storytelling is responsive, trustworthy and authentically Teesside and proud – and we love the Boro!
Now we’re looking for a reporter to work as part of our Darlington Live team, focusing on finding and writing interesting, important and engaging stories about the area, from breaking news to stories about living life locally, to help us bring more of the trusted news we are famous for to the people of Darlington.
You will work hard to understand the patch, telling the stories that matter and helping to build a social community around your content to ensure it reaches as many people as possible. You’ll need a sharp news sense and excellent social media skills, together with outstanding accuracy and attention to detail. Experience of writing news for online audiences is desirable.
Please note this role will be a primarily home based position, with access to our shared workspace on Teesside. You’ll spend plenty of time out on patch reporting the stories that matter in Darlington. Due to the nature of the position the candidate will need to live in the North East.
So, who are we?
Teesside Live is part of Reach Plc. You might not have heard of us but we have probably met without you even realising it. We are home to the UK and Ireland’s most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Mirror, Daily Express and OK!, to our regional titles such as the Teesside Gazette, ChronicleLive, Liverpool Echo and the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more), our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people. We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human. Oh, and we should probably also mention that with a monthly readership of 47 million people, Reach is the largest commercial publisher in the UK. At Reach, not only will you feel better understood, you will also feel you understand other people better too.
What will the role involve?
- You will work across the designated patch of Darlington, where you will build up contracts, and source stories and news which is important to the readers within the local community.
- You will be responsible for covering live breaking news as it happens
- You will be tasked with understanding how to identify the stories that people want to read
- Be an elegant storyteller, able to write in a clear and accurate way
- Provide quality content to tight deadlines
- Have a sophisticated understanding of how to use social media to spot stories
- Understanding the need to build an audience round your content to help it reach the people it is created for
- Understanding the value of analytics to inform content decisions
- Maintaining the highest personal standards of professionalism and integrity at all times within the framework of current legislation and Reach PLC’s editorial and company policies
- Maintaining a thorough, up-to-date knowledge of media law and IPSO code.
Who are we looking for?
- You will have an NCTJ or equivalent journalist qualification (or relevant time-served experience).
- A strong storyteller with a thorough understanding of how to create engaging content
- A skilled user of social media to engage audiences, source ideas and share content
- Great communication skills and the ability to build a strong network of contacts
- Excellent writing skills
- A good understanding of SEO or willingness to learn
- Ability to work well under deadline pressure
- A team player, willing to work flexibly
- Lots of energy, enthusiasm and self-motivation
- Full driving licence.
What can we offer you?
- Help saving for your retirement – join our pension scheme and we’ll match contributions up to 6%
- 25 days’ holiday per year when you join. After three, five and ten years’ service with Reach, you’ll accrue one additional day of annual leave. We also have a Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Giving back day – an additional day’s leave each year to support a cause close to your heart
- Enhanced family leave – including maternity, paternity and adoption – and you’ll be eligible after just six months’ employment
- Private Healthcare Cash Plan – free health cash plan so you can claim back cash for a range of medical expenses
- As one of the UK’s top 50 Inclusive Employers everyone’s invited to join our events, programmes and networks to celebrate diversity and build an environment where all our people can thrive
- Wellbeing support – including a 24/7 assistance programme for you and your nearest and dearest, a free subscription to mindfulness app Headspace and access to free mental health coaching through Sanctus
- Awesome career opportunities – you’ll have support from your line manager and a range of learning & development programmes
- We are a FTSE 250 Company, and also a member of the 30% Club, a global campaign aimed at increasing gender diversity at board and senior management levels.