Daily Star is seeking a News Reporter to join our team at one of Britain’s fastest growing national newspaper websites. We are looking for a dynamic all-rounder capable of working to tight deadlines in our busy, integrated newsroom.
As a candidate, you should get a buzz from the thrill of covering the biggest and best breaking news and developing stories. Those who are social media savvy and able to turn their hand to every type of news will stand a greater chance of success.
Above all else, we want imaginative and enthusiastic journalists who are brimming with ideas. Experience on the nationals and/or in a digital news environment would be useful, as would local/regional newspaper or agency experience. Candidates must be NCTJ qualified or equivalent. This is an exciting opportunity to join a rapidly expanding digital news operation.
So, who are we?
We are Reach plc, you might not have heard of us but we have probably met without you even realising it. We are home to the UK and Ireland’s most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Mirror, Daily Express and OK!, to our regional titles such as the Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more), our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people. We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human. Oh, and we should probably also mention that with a monthly readership of 47 million people, Reach is the largest commercial publisher in the UK. At Reach, not only will you feel better understood, you will also feel you understand other people better too.
What will the role involve?
- The successful candidate will cover breaking news, quickly, as it happens, ensuring it’s as engaging as it can be.
- You will show an understanding of the brand’s key content and quickly develop a feel for the stories which work best for our readers, in both print and online.
- Use your contacts to pull in exclusive interviews and news stories.
- Push content via Facebook and Twitter in accordance with the digital social media policy.
- Optimise stories in accordance with the digital SEO strategy.
- Write and edit in accordance with the house style.
- Read competitor publications, in print and online, and form a thorough knowledge of the content which works best for the brand.
- Monitor news wires and social media for content and breaking news.
Who are we looking for?
- Passionate about delivering a wide range of news stories, from hard news to shareable, irreverent content, you will understand what works for a digital audience and deliver content to prove this.
- The successful candidate must be flexible as this role will involve working days, nights and weekends on a rota basis.
- You will be social media savvy with current SEO knowledge.
- You will relish the daily challenge of working under pressure and to tight deadlines.
What can we offer you?
- Help saving for your retirement – join our pension scheme and we’ll match contributions up to 6%
- 25 days’ holiday per year when you join. After three, five and ten years’ service with Reach, you’ll accrue one additional day of annual leave. We also have a Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Giving back day – an additional day’s leave each year to support a cause close to your heart
- Enhanced family leave – including maternity, paternity and adoption – and you’ll be eligible after just six months’ employment
- Private Healthcare Cash Plan – free health cash plan so you can claim back cash for a range of medical expenses
- Wellbeing support – including a 24/7 assistance programme for you and your nearest and dearest, a free subscription to mindfulness app Headspace and access to free mental health coaching through Sanctus
- Awesome career opportunities – you’ll have support from your line manager and a range of learning & development programmes