Do you love telling stories and want to work in one of the country’s most vibrant newsrooms, in the best city in the world?
The award-winning Manchester Evening News is already the largest regional website in the country with a huge audience – but we want to keep growing and reaching even more people.
We’re looking for a talented Real Life Reporter to work alongside our Weekend Editor.
This is a role for a tenacious Reporter or Journalist who excels at finding and telling stories about the extraordinary things that happen to ordinary people.
If you have a knack for spotting the real life story behind a court case or internet post, are gifted at tracking people down, and have a knack for getting people to open up about their experiences, then this role is for you.
We want someone who has the empathy and versatility to write about people’s Real Life experiences of crime, trauma, relationships, health, wealth, housing, lifestyle transformations and the unusual or quirky.
The ability to think of ideas for features and to make them work is essential to the role. The successful candidate will be an experienced Reporter or Journalist and have an understanding of current affairs, and the ability to translate that into human interest storytelling.
So, who are we?
We are Reach plc, you might not have heard of us but we have probably met without you even realising it. We are home to the UK and Ireland’s most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Mirror, Daily Express and OK!, to our regional titles such as the Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more), our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people. We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human.
What can we offer you?
We are offering a competitive salary and benefits including;
- Help saving for your retirement – join our pension scheme and we’ll match contributions up to 6%
- 25 days’ holiday per year when you join. After three, five and ten years’ service with Reach, you’ll accrue one additional day of annual leave. We also have a Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Giving back day – an additional day’s leave each year to support a cause close to your heart
- Enhanced family leave – including maternity, paternity and adoption – and you’ll be eligible after just six months’ employment
- Private Healthcare Cash Plan – free health cash plan so you can claim back cash for a range of medical expenses
- As one of the UK’s top 50 Inclusive Employers everyone’s invited to join our events, programmes and networks to celebrate diversity and build an environment where all our people can thrive
- Wellbeing support – including a 24/7 assistance programme for you and your nearest and dearest, a free subscription to mindfulness app Headspace and access to free mental health coaching through Sanctus
- Awesome career opportunities – you’ll have support from your line manager and a range of learning & development programmes
- We are a FTSE 250 Company, and also a member of the 30% Club, a global campaign aimed at increasing gender diversity at board and senior management levels.
This role will be a mix of home and office working at our Manchester newsroom.