We are looking for a journalist who will help shape our political coverage at a critical time for Manchester and the north.
You will be someone who understands how politics and policy impacts everyone’s lives. You will be able to bring in exclusive stories and spot trends that inform longer agenda-setting reads. You’ll be able to write quick takes to deadline or run a live blog or create analysis and comment.
The Manchester Evening News is the largest regional website in the country and over the years we have learned how to get political coverage read. We now want to grow that audience further. We are looking for someone who really cares about Manchester and the north and wants to help fight for its future.
So, who are we?
We are Reach plc, you might not have heard of us but we have probably met without you even realising it. We are home to the UK and Ireland’s most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Mirror, Daily Express and OK!, to our regional titles such as the Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more), our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people. We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human.
What will the role involve?
- Generate exclusive Manchester, Greater Manchester and northern political content and analysis
- Build and maintain a strong network of contacts across the city and wider region
- Tell the stories of how politics and policy impacts on people’s lives
- Be a cheerleader for Greater Manchester people
- Work closely with Local Democracy and other reporters across the newsroom to ensure our content is of the highest quality
- Maintain editorial, ethical and legal standards across digital platforms
- Support the continued growth of the Manchester newsroom
- Use audience data, insights and analytics to help inform content decisions
Who are we looking for?
- A political writer or editor in a regional or national newsroom
- A strong network of contacts
- Exceptional judgment
- Have a deep understanding of how politics and the public sector works
- Understanding of editorial strategy and brand values
- Be comfortable being the voice of the Manchester Evening News on national and regional media
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, both verbal and written
- Adaptable, flexible, creative and full of flair
- Ability to work well as part of a team
- Ability to work quickly and effectively under deadline pressure
What can we offer?
- Help saving for your retirement – join our pension scheme and we’ll match contributions up to 6%
- 25 days’ holiday per year when you join. After three, five and ten years’ service with Reach, you’ll accrue one additional day of annual leave. We also have a Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Enhanced family leave – including maternity, paternity and adoption – and you’ll be eligible after just six months’ employment
- Private Healthcare Cash Plan – free health cash plan so you can claim back cash for a range of medical expenses
- As one of the UK’s top 50 Inclusive Employers everyone’s invited to join our events, programmes and networks to celebrate diversity and build an environment where all our people can thrive
- Awesome career opportunities – you’ll have support from your line manager and a range of learning & development programmes
Reach plc believes diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.