We have an exciting opportunity here at Reach Plc for a well-connected and experienced Picture Editor to join the team.
As Picture Editor you will be responsible for supporting the Head of Pictures of print and online media, ensuring our national titles have the best pictures and eye-catching design work to compliment stories on the site.
So, who are we?
We are Reach plc, you might not have heard of us but we have probably met without you even realising it. We are home to the UK and Ireland’s most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Mirror, Daily Express and OK!, to our regional titles such as the Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more), our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people. We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human. Oh, and we should probably also mention that with a monthly readership of 47 million people, Reach is the largest commercial publisher in the UK. At Reach, not only will you feel better understood, you will also feel you understand other people better too.
- Supporting The Head of Pictures to drive the ‘one’ picture team to ensure a smooth running daily operation of all titles and platforms.
- Ensure all staff are performing at their best and are progressing and learning.
- Liaise with the Editor to produce the best pictures of the day.
- Liaise with desk heads and reporters to make sure jobs are covered.
- Picture tasting from the wires.
- Search social media for new relevant newsworthy images to accompany a breaking news story for print and online.
- Work with the team to ensure the appropriate images are sourced for news and features.
- Excellent contacts within the picture industry – picture Agencies, PR’s and Photographers
- Generate ideas for publication.
- Taking accountability for the fair and consistent application of all our people policies, procedures and processes.
- Fostering a high-performance culture by setting clear expectations and having in-the-moment performance discussions.
- Developing a culture of trust, where people are safe to speak up, clear on their role in the team’s success and empowered to be their best at work.
- Rewarding and recognising great performance, celebrating people’s achievements and successes.
- Ensuring the continued development of team members, supporting them to reach their full potential.
- Previous experience at leading a picture team.
- An eye for a great picture and an interest in photography
- An excellent knowledge of news, politics and current affairs.
- Proven ability to work under pressure with excellent time management skills
- This job involves shift work, including evenings and weekends. Hours will vary and candidates must be flexible.
- People management.
- Calm under pressure with the ability to pick out the best images for a story against deadline
We are offering a competitive salary and benefits including;
- Help saving for your retirement – join our pension scheme and we’ll match contributions up to 6%
- 25 days’ holiday per year when you join. After three, five and ten years’ service with Reach, you’ll accrue one additional day of annual leave. We also have a Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Giving back day– an additional day’s leave each year to support a cause close to your heart
- Enhanced family leave– including maternity, paternity and adoption – and you’ll be eligible after just six months’ employment
- Private Healthcare Cash Plan – free health cash plan so you can claim back cash for a range of medical expenses
- As one of the UK’s top 50 Inclusive Employers everyone’s invited to join our events, programmes and networks to celebrate diversity and build an environment where all our people can thrive
- Wellbeing support – including a 24/7 assistance programme for you and your nearest and dearest, a free subscription to mindfulness app Headspace and access to free mental health coaching through Sanctus
- Awesome career opportunities – you’ll have support from your line manager and a range of learning & development programmes
- We are a FTSE 250 Company, and also a member of the 30% Club, a global campaign aimed at increasing gender diversity at board and senior management levels.
Reach plc believes diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.