Daily Star is looking for an outstanding News Reporter to join our Overnight News Team. We are keen to speak with reporters who thrive in a fast-paced newsroom environment, enjoy the thrill of breaking news and securing brilliant exclusives. Outstanding graduates will also be considered for the role. This is an excellent opportunity to join a dynamic team and drive the Daily Star’s extensive editorial content and digital presence.
So, who are we?
We are Reach Plc, you might not have heard of us but we have probably met without you even realising it. We are home to the UK and Ireland’s most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Mirror, Daily Express and OK!, to our regional titles such as the Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more), our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people. We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human.
This role is home working linked to our Canary Wharf Hub. We are therefore open to candidates based in an area commutable to London.
What will the role involve?
- The successful candidate for this role will write and develop stories, with great pictures and engaging video. You will deliver a fast turnaround on major news stories across the UK and around the world and be expected to bring in exclusive stories that set us apart from our rivals
- Our core topics, as the overnight team, are world news – such as US politics – the royal family and UK/EU news
- We also cover breaking lines from around the globe as part of our 24/7 news coverage
- This is a golden opportunity to work alongside a team of journalists for one of the most read news websites in the world in a fast-paced environment
- This role includes weekend working, this will typically involve 1 weekend in every 4
Who are we looking for?
- NCTJ or equivalent journalism degree and knowledge of media law
- We are considering reporters with at least 18 months’ experience at a national or regional title, though outstanding graduates and those with relevant experience will also be offered interviews/trial shifts
- You will be expected to pitch exclusives on a weekly basis while covering trending topics and emerging news lines
- You will understand what works for a digital audience and deliver content to prove this
- You will relish the daily challenge of working under pressure and to tight deadlines
- You will be social media savvy with current SEO knowledge
What can we offer you?
We are offering a competitive salary and benefits including;
- Help saving for your retirement – join our pension scheme and we’ll match contributions up to 6%
- 25 days’ holiday per year when you join. After three, five and ten years’ service with Reach, you’ll accrue one additional day of annual leave. We also have a Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Giving back day – an additional day’s leave each year to support a cause close to your heart
- Enhanced family leave – including maternity, paternity and adoption – and you’ll be eligible after just six months’ employment
- Private Healthcare Cash Plan – free health cash plan so you can claim back cash for a range of medical expenses
- As one of the UK’s top 50 Inclusive Employers everyone’s invited to join our events, programmes and networks to celebrate diversity and build an environment where all our people can thrive
- Wellbeing support – including a 24/7 assistance programme for you and your nearest and dearest, a free subscription to mindfulness app Headspace and access to free mental health coaching through Sanctus
- Awesome career opportunities – you’ll have support from your line manager and a range of learning & development programmes