Overnight News Reporter
Express.co.uk is looking for an outstanding News Reporter to join our Overnight News Team. We are keen to speak with reporters who thrive in a fast-paced newsroom environment, enjoy the thrill of breaking news and securing brilliant exclusives. Outstanding graduates will also be considered for the role. This is an excellent opportunity to join a dynamic team and drive the Express’s extensive editorial content and digital presence.
This role will be a mix of home and office working at our London Hub (Canary Wharf).
So, who are we?
You might not have heard of us but we have probably met without you even realising it. We are home to the UK and Ireland’s most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Mirror, Daily Express and OK!, to our regional titles such as the Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more), our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people. We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human. Oh, and we should probably also mention that with a monthly readership of 47 million people, Reach is the largest commercial publisher in the UK. At Reach, not only will you feel better understood, you will also feel you understand other people better too.
What will the role involve?
- The successful candidate for this role will write and develop stories, with great pictures and engaging video. You will deliver a fast turnaround on major news stories across the UK and around the world and be expected to bring in exclusive stories that set us apart from our rivals.
- Our core topics, as the overnight team, are world news – such as US politics – the royal family and UK/EU news.
- We also cover breaking lines from around the globe as part of our 24/7 news coverage.
- This is a golden opportunity to work alongside a team of journalists for one of the most read news websites in the world in a fast-paced environment.
Who are we looking for?
- We are considering reporters with at least 18 months’ experience at a national or regional title, though outstanding graduates and those with relevant experience will also be offered interviews/trial shifts.
- The shift pattern is 11pm to 7am – and 10pm to 6am on Fridays. You will be expected to pitch exclusives on a weekly basis while covering trending topics and emerging news lines.
- You will understand what works for a digital audience and deliver content to prove this.
- You will relish the daily challenge of working under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- You will be social media savvy with current SEO knowledge.
- You will have excellent knowledge of journalism law and the IPSO Editors’ Code of Practice.
- An NCTJ diploma and shorthand skills are desirable but not essential.
What can we offer you?
We are offering a competitive salary and benefits including;
- 25 days holiday per annum when you join. After three, five and ten years’ service with Reach, you’ll accrue one additional day of annual leave
- Defined progression pathway
- Enhanced Maternity, Partner and Shared Parental Leave benefits
- Contributory pension scheme
- Share save scheme
- Simply Health Cash Plan
- A brilliant induction and learning hub
- Holiday purchase scheme
- Technology purchase scheme
- Car purchase scheme
- Discounted gym membership
- Lots of high street discounts
- Huge focus on Diversity & Inclusion. We have launched 6 networks to drive diversity at work and an inclusive environment, and to give you a voice. We hold panel events with internal and external guest speakers, and provide some really useful resources.
- Huge focus on your wellbeing. Free wellbeing apps and confidential coaching support, with access to free healthcare advice and counselling (available to your and your immediate family members who live in the same household). Some services are available 24/7 via call and live chat.
Reach plc believes diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.