NATS is the UK’s leading air navigation service provider, handling over 2 million flights each year. It provides air traffic control services from two control centres supporting airports all around the UK, as well as a wide range of commercial solutions to over 30 countries internationally. Our people are at the heart of our purpose to advance aviation and keep the skies safe.
Working at our prestigious Swanwick Centre, the purpose of this role is to receive, issue and disseminate aeronautical information via NOTAM. As an integral part of NATS, the Aeronautical Information Management function is contracted to deliver the UK Aeronautical Information Service in accordance with ICAO and under licence with the UK CAA.
This information is used to alert users of future and immediate hazards that have the potential to affect flight safety, and can contain information concerning the establishment, condition or change in any aeronautical facility, service, procedure, or hazard. The UK International NOTAM Office operates 24-hour service 365 days of the year – this position will reflect this via varied shift working patterns, including nights, and weekends.
Other duties include:
- Validate and verify aeronautical information received to ensure that it is from a legitimate source, and received in accordance with international, regional, and national standards and policies
- Analyse NOTAM content to ensure all safety related hazards are emphasised for correct interpretation
- Clarify purpose of the NOTAM or reject proposals (through application of guidance, knowledge, and personal judgement) that do not represent a condition or change in any aeronautical facility, service, procedure, or hazard
- Prepare NOTAM content in accordance with international and regional regulations and requirements and ensure appropriate distribution
- Operate specialist software, identify, and react immediately to faults in the operation of software and systems, and report these to ensure corrective and preventive action is taken
- Make available pre-flight and post-flight information including Pre-flight Information Bulletin important to the safe conduct of flight, and assist stakeholders as required
- Act as a mentor and deliver training as required in all aspects of the NOTAM process and procedures
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Relevant experience in aviation, essentially from a similar Air traffic Service environment
- Safety related aeronautical data handling experience
- Issue resolution and escalation experience
- Significant knowledge of international aviation standards including International Civil Aviation Organisation Standards
- Ability to swiftly analyse and interpret aeronautical information and data to understand importance and context, also to influence on highly technical Aeronautical Information subjects
- Ability to work within a small team of highly qualified experienced staff
- Effective prioritisation and time management skills
- Excellent communicator, with a high level of attention to detail
- Ability to work and make decisions autonomously
Additional Vacancy Information:
We are proud to offer a fantastic total reward package to help you thrive both personally and professionally. In addition to a competitive salary that’s regularly reviewed, you’ll also benefit from a wide range of other benefits which includes generous leave entitlement, a market-leading defined contribution pension scheme, a range of voluntary benefits and retail discounts, wellness support and a comprehensive learning and development offering.
If you share our passion to advance aviation and keep the skies safe – we would like to hear from you whatever your age, sex, race, faith, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, visible or invisible disability. Individuals that bring different perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds help us be at the forefront of our industry