It is a really exciting time to join the Reach family with sustained growth and ambitious plans. We are looking for a Nostalgia Writer to join our live network, working across our sites in the North West and North Wales.
This role exists to create and organise nostalgia content across all digital platforms, helping to build a loyal audience that identifies with the pictures and stories of the local area in which they live.
So, who are we?
Hello, we are Reach! You might not have heard of us but we have probably met without you even realising it. We are home to the UK and Ireland’s most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Mirror, Daily Express and OK!, to our regional titles such as the Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more), our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people.
We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human. Oh, and we should probably also mention that with a monthly readership of 47 million people, Reach is the largest commercial publisher in the UK. At Reach, not only will you feel better understood, you will also feel you understand other people better too.
What will the role involve?
- Create content and help shape the agenda and tone of coverage of retro content, including words, pictures and images, online, on social media and in print.
- Provide authoritative and engaging content relating to nostalgia using exclusive archive material, videos, galleries, opinion, analysis, lists and audience engagement activity on social media.
- Develop personal brand to become a trusted expert and public face across external media, in relevant digital communities and on social media.
- Generate content according to the requirements of the digital newsroom publishing schedule, including a minimum output for each key audience spike.
- Manage, organise and control the development of nostalgia stories and content packages to drive loyal users and convert registrations.
- Write and share content in a way that meets standards set by the business in terms of quality, consistency, legal accuracy and IPSO compliance.
- Source third-party content, including video, audio and pictures, to add value to the content, delivering content as a full package wherever possible.
- Ensure that content is promoted via an effective social media presence.
- Ensure effective communication between relevant people/departments.
- Ensure brand values are maintained on digital platforms and that digital best practice and style guides are adhered to in terms of metadata, optimisation and content formatting.
- Ensure content is produced with the correct metadata at all times.
Who are we looking for?
- Excellent writing skills and an eye for a quality image.
- Excellent communicator on social media.
- Deep interest in local nostalgia and identity.
- Demonstrable experience of delivering great ideas for content.
- Understanding of digital publishing including SEO.
- Comfortable at getting out and about and making contacts.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Highly efficient and organised.
- Self-motivated and able to take instruction as well as manage own workload efficiently.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to work quickly and effectively under deadline pressure.
- Flexible approach to shifts.
- Full driving licence.
- NCTJ Qualified or equivalent journalist qualification (or relevant time-served experience).
- Up-to-date legal and IPSO Code knowledge.
What can we offer you?
We are offering a competitive salary and benefits including;
- Help saving for your retirement – join our pension scheme and we’ll match contributions up to 6%
- 25 days’ holiday per year when you join. After three, five and ten years’ service with Reach, you’ll accrue one additional day of annual leave. We also have a Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Giving back day – an additional day’s leave each year to support a cause close to your heart
- Enhanced family leave – including maternity, paternity and adoption – and you’ll be eligible after just six months’ employment
- Private Healthcare Cash Plan – free health cash plan so you can claim back cash for a range of medical expenses
- As one of the UK’s top 50 Inclusive Employers everyone’s invited to join our events, programmes and networks to celebrate diversity and build an environment where all our people can thrive
- Wellbeing support – including a 24/7 assistance programme for you and your nearest and dearest, a free subscription to mindfulness app Headspace and access to free mental health coaching through Sanctus
- Awesome career opportunities – you’ll have support from your line manager and a range of learning & development programmes
- We are a FTSE 250 Company, and also a member of the 30% Club, a global campaign aimed at increasing gender diversity at board and senior management levels.
Reach plc believes diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.