We have an exciting opportunity for a News Editor to join our brilliant Mirror team where you will have a senior role in shaping and setting the news agenda read by millions around the world every day.
In the role you will be responsible for taking the lead on major national and international stories, working alongside both print and digital departments to maximise brand collaboration and ensure best use of digital copy in the daily print edition of the Mirror.
We are looking for an experienced, versatile journalist who can help co-manage a busy newsdesk, lead a team of reporters, liaising with news agencies and freelancers, as well as pinpointing emerging news trends, managing breaking news and taking charge of exclusive stories across our core subject matters in a rewarding and varied role.
What will the role involve?
- Helping to co-manage a major national news desk of more than 20 staff, reporting to the Deputy Head of News (Digital).
- Take a lead in recruiting, mentoring and developing staff.
- Take charge and lead coverage on major breaking news stories both
domestic and foreign.
- Find and develop stories that will appeal to both UK national newsprint
and global web audiences.
- Break exclusives to ensure the Mirror stays a step ahead of our rivals.
- Sub-edit and manage copy to ensure it is accurate and attention grabbing for
the newspaper and online.
- Taking accountability for the fair and consistent application of all our people
policies, procedures and processes.
- Fostering a high-performance culture by setting clear expectations and having
in-the-moment performance discussions.
- Developing a culture of trust, where people are safe to speak up, clear on
their role in the team’s success and empowered to be their best at work
- Rewarding and recognising great performance, celebrating people’s
achievements and successes.
- Ensuring the continued development of team members, supporting them to
reach their full potential.
- Partnering with our HR team to attract, develop and maintain the best talent to
help the business achieve its goals, now and in the future.
- Including monitoring engagement and using employee feedback to continually
- Acting as a role model and taking a lead on change initiatives to support the
group’s strategy and our employees.
What are we looking for?
- You will work well under pressure and produce content containing the best words, pictures and video.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Excellent web and social media skills.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment while working across multiple stories.
- At least 18 months senior experience at a national or regional title. Print
newspaper experience encouraged.
- A proven love of news and a flair for writing attention grabbing copy.
- Exceptional media law knowledge.