Local Democracy Reporter
£Competitive & Company Benefits
Full-time Home-based with patch reporting
Are you passionate about politics and how it affects communities? Wales Online requires a journalist to cover council politics as part of the Local Democracy Reporting dchemer. This role will be covering Bridgend & Neath Port Talbot
You will be part of one of the most dynamic newsrooms in the UK, playing a pivotal role in the BBC-backed public journalism service. A firm grasp of local government, strong digital skills and a track record of great ideas are essential for this role.
So, who are we?
We are Reach plc, you might not have heard of us but we have probably met without you even realising it. We are home to the UK and Ireland’s most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Mirror, Daily Express and OK!, to our regional titles such as the Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more), our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people. We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human. Oh, and we should probably also mention that with a monthly readership of 47 million people, Reach is the largest commercial publisher in the UK. At Reach, not only will you feel better understood, you will also feel you understand other people better too.
You will be a trained Journalist with a firm grasp of local government, working with our brilliant team of digital and print journalists at Wales Online. You will be responsible for covering Bridgend and Neath Port Talbot Council, ensuring meetings and key decisions are reported as well as building contacts and breaking exclusive lines.
As well as your stories appearing online and in print, they will also be accessible to the BBC and other publications and broadcasters throughout the region, bringing a huge potential audience to your work.
The Ideal Candidate
We are looking for an experienced Reporter with good knowledge of social media and the way it can be used to drive audience and engagement. We are seeking candidates with formal journalist training (including shorthand and media law) and with two years experience – although in some cases exceptional, newly-qualified journalists may be considered. You must be able to work to tight, daily deadlines and have a shorthand proficiency of 100wpm.
About the Local Democracy Reporting Service.
This scheme is designed to increase coverage and scrutiny of councils across the UK. Funded by the BBC and run by media publishers, reporters who join this service provide in-depth coverage of local authorities which will feature on websites, newspapers and broadcasts across their region. This is a high-profile job – where your reports can feature on websites, print, regional TV, radio and even the BBC homepage.
We are offering a competitive salary and benefits including;
- 25 days holiday per annum when you join. After three, five and ten years’ service with Reach, you’ll accrue one additional day of annual leave
- Defined progression pathway
- Enhanced Maternity, Partner and Shared Parental Leave benefits
- Contributory pension scheme
- Share save scheme
- Simply Health Cash Plan
- A brilliant induction and learning hub
- Holiday purchase scheme
- Technology purchase scheme
- Car purchase scheme
- Discounted gym membership
- Lots of high street discounts
- Huge focus on Diversity & Inclusion. We have launched 6 networks to drive diversity at work and an inclusive environment, and to give you a voice. We hold panel events with internal and external guest speakers, and provide some really useful resources.
- Huge focus on your wellbeing. Free wellbeing apps and confidential coaching support, with access to free healthcare advice and counselling (available to your
and your immediate family members who live in the same household). Some services are available 24/7 via call and live chat.
- We are a FTSE 250 Company.
- We are a member of the 30% Club, a global campaign aimed at increasing gender diversity at board and senior management levels.
- Many of the commercial roles are home based (when not visiting clients) which offers additional flexibility.
Reach plc believes diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.