Reach’s new customer value strategy puts our customers and their experience at the heart of everything we do.
This role is responsible for all products and projects in our Editorial Services and Platforms stream, which is a key strategic pillar supporting internal and customer facing products and an important enabling team for all of Product and Engineering.
We provide the tools needed for editorial to do their job, the digital support to help those users get the best out of them and ultimately the underlying Reach news platform that serves content, plus its future state.
Reports to the Director of News Products, manages product managers and other roles as required / agreed. Works closely with product, engineering and stakeholders from across the business as well as third party partners and suppliers.
This position can be 100% home based (UK & Ireland) or a mixture of home and office working at our HQ in Canary Wharf, London.
This is a 12 month fixed-term contract position.
So, who are we?
Every day our newsbrands – national and regional, in print and online – reach millions of people up and down the country. We are the UK’s largest news publisher and 5th largest digital platform.
There are 47m online readers in the UK, 30.8m of who get local news from the Live network – 65% of all adults. Our network of over 70 websites provides 24/7 coverage of news, sport and showbiz stories, with 8.1 billion page views per year.
- Management of Editorial Services and Platform Products and oversight of projects within this product area (comprising the following teams Editorial Tools, Platforms, Replatform and Digital Operations)
- Communication with and reporting back to key stakeholders.
- Coordination and management of dependencies and close collaboration with other product managers and project managers and PMO.
- Line management and development of direct report/s.
- Overall accountability for success of Editorial Services and Platform Products and projects including creating and maintaining vision, strategy, KPIs and roadmap/s for the group.
- Planning and looking for opportunities for what is needed to support and grow the platform and services for the group and the company as a whole.
- Making sure the underlying platform framework can support the business initiatives across the company for now and for the future.
- Uphold Reach’s policy around diversity and inclusion and work to ensure our values around non-discrimination are incorporated in everything we publish
- Helping develop and drive tools and processes for the technology teams, promoting best practice.
- Responsible for assessment, coordination, decision-making and prioritisation of work into the various platform workstreams.
- Timely and appropriate communication with and reporting back to key stakeholders and internal customers.
- Coordination and management of dependencies and close collaboration with other product/project managers and PMO.
The Ideal Candidate
- Focussed on the customer and deepening customer loyalty
- Product delivery team leadership.
- Setting the Product Strategy, vision, mission and goals
- Defining and tracking success metrics (OKRs or similar outcome focused measures)
- A strong influencer and relationship builder.
- Confident at managing multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously.
- Ability to demonstrate tangible business value through investing in technology.
- Able to converse and communicate with a wide variety of stakeholders.
- Product lifecycle management
- Plan, forecast and deliver to budget
Qualifications & Experience
- 5+ years in product management ‘doing’ roles
- Preparing a Product Strategy / Vision
- Experience of working on B2B products – someone with a strong technical understanding but a customer focus
- Translating business to technical requirements and vice versa
- Understanding fundamental technical principles
- Demonstrable experience of greenfield products and taking an idea to a reality on a large scale.
- Competitor analysis, trend watching / horizon scanning and market research
- Making data informed decisions and clear understanding of how to measure success
- Managing complex dependencies across teams
- Line management of 1 or more Product Managers
Nice to have:
- Certified Scrum Product Owner
- SVPG’s: How to Create Products Customers Love
- Data insight courses/certifications
- User Experience courses/certifications
- Technology courses/certifications
We are offering a competitive salary and benefits including;
– 25 days holiday
– Healthcare & Dental plan
– Contributory pension scheme
– Holiday purchase scheme
– Free wellbeing apps and coaching support
– Lots of high street discounts!
Reach plc believes diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.