We are here to reboot and refresh digital journalism in the county of Hampshire.
The team specialises in brilliant, detailed, ambitious and entertaining storytelling. Our Journalists love writing in-depth investigative pieces that we know our audience will engage with and remember the brand for, as well as more-light hearted stories to bring a smile to your face in these trying times.
We have a fantastic opportunity for a trainee multimedia journalist to join our successful team at HampshireLive. We’re looking for fresh ideas and new perspectives from people from a wide range of backgrounds, and we want you to tell us the stories you believe are important from our many communities so we can continue to diversify our content. We’re also keen to provide stronger coverage of our county’s courts.
So, who are we?
We are Reach Plc, you might not have heard of us but we have probably met without you even realising it. We are home to the UK and Ireland’s most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Mirror, Daily Express and OK!, to our regional titles such as the Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more), our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people. We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human.
Oh, and we should probably also mention that with a monthly readership of 47 million people, Reach is the largest commercial publisher in the UK. At Reach, not only will you feel better understood, you will also feel you understand other people better too.
This role is home based however due to the nature of the role, you will need to be based in or around Hampshire.
What will the role involve?
- You will be working as part of a team to produce digital storytelling and to cover live news
- You will build strong contacts for story-gathering in our existing and underserved communities
- You will be comfortable interviewing, taking pictures and filming when out on the job
- You will love all things social media and use these skills to build audiences and communities, ensuring content in shared on social platforms
- You will be willing and eager to report via Facebook Live
- This role includes shift and weekend working
Who are we looking for?
- NCTJ or equivalent journalism degree and knowledge of media law
- You are creative and passionate, with an awareness of quality digital storytelling which engages local audiences and meets the standards set by Reach
- 100 WPM shorthand or working towards
- We want you to tell us the stories you believe are important from our many diverse communities as we seek to grow new audiences
- A driving licence is preferable for this role
What can we offer you?
We are offering a competitive salary and benefits including;
- Help saving for your retirement – join our pension scheme and we’ll match contributions up to 6%
- 25 days’ holiday per year when you join. After three, five and ten years’ service with Reach, you’ll accrue one additional day of annual leave. We also have a Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Giving back day – an additional day’s leave each year to support a cause close to your heart
- Enhanced family leave – including maternity, paternity and adoption – and you’ll be eligible after just six months’ employment
- Private Healthcare Cash Plan – free health cash plan so you can claim back cash for a range of medical expenses
- As one of the UK’s top 50 Inclusive Employers everyone’s invited to join our events, programmes and networks to celebrate diversity and build an environment where all our people can thrive
- Wellbeing support – including a 24/7 assistance programme for you and your nearest and dearest, a free subscription to mindfulness app Headspace and access to free mental health coaching through Sanctus
- Awesome career opportunities – you’ll have support from your line manager and a range of learning & development programmes
- We are a member of the 30% Club, a global campaign aimed at increasing gender diversity at board and senior management levels
Reach plc believes diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.