This is an exciting, high profile role for an experienced journalist and news editor working at the heart of Reach’s national and regional editorial teams.
The Reach Wire is an internal service liaising between editors of all regional and national titles in the company.
As a Deputy Wire Editor you’ll report to the Head of Wire and be part of the team managing stories and editorial intel from across our local and national newsrooms. This is a role for someone who loves news – talking about it, planning and coordinating it. You’ll handle everything from a NIB in a national and spreads in Sunday titles to banners for local news sites.
So, who are we?
We are Reach plc, you might not have heard of us but we have probably met without you even realising it. We are home to the UK and Ireland’s most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Mirror, Daily Express and OK!, to our regional titles such as the Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more), our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people. We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human. Oh, and we should probably also mention that with a monthly readership of 47 million people, Reach is the largest commercial publisher in the UK. At Reach, not only will you feel better understood, you will also feel you understand other people better too.
What will the role involve?
- Liaising with editors across Reach to gather information on stories being prepared or those already published.
- Carefully selecting and curating information and copy to share with relevant editors in good time so that our editorial work can be best used across Reach.
- Attending editorial meetings to pitch stories at the same time as gathering information regarding publishing plans for material of value for other editors in the group.
- News editing copy, including stories from our Wire court reporter, before it goes out to ‘customer’ sites and titles via the various wire processes.
- Working closely with picture editors and photographers to maximise the use of images taken by our staff.
- Checking performance of shared stories and pictures using our publishing and analytics tools.
- Identifying new strategies for the Reach Wire and researching opportunities to get more value from our editorial material.
Who are we looking for?
- You’ll have news editing experience, preferably at a national or major regional level, and a proven track record of strong news judgement.
- You’ll have handled and edited a variety of copy from breaking news to features and court cases.
- You’ll show you understand what stories work for national or regional, print or online.
- You’ll also be confident using tools such as Slack, Chartbeat, Contentwatch, Cue/Escenic.
- Diplomacy and negotiating skills are crucial as is an understanding of how to handle exclusive content with care.
- You’ll know your editorial law and the Editors’ Code.
What can we offer you?
We are offering a competitive salary and benefits including;
- Help saving for your retirement – join our pension scheme and we’ll match contributions up to 6%
- 25 days’ holiday per year when you join. After three, five and ten years’ service with Reach, you’ll accrue one additional day of annual leave. We also have a Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Giving back day – an additional day’s leave each year to support a cause close to your heart
- Enhanced family leave – including maternity, paternity and adoption – and you’ll be eligible after just six months’ employment
- Private Healthcare Cash Plan – free health cash plan so you can claim back cash for a range of medical expenses
- As one of the UK’s top 50 Inclusive Employers everyone’s invited to join our events, programmes and networks to celebrate diversity and build an environment where all our people can thrive
- Wellbeing support – including a 24/7 assistance programme for you and your nearest and dearest, a free subscription to mindfulness app Headspace and access to free mental health coaching through Sanctus
- Awesome career opportunities – you’ll have support from your line manager and a range of learning & development programmes
- We are a FTSE 250 Company, and also a member of the 30% Club, a global campaign aimed at increasing gender diversity at board and senior management levels.
Reach plc believes diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.