Reach’s new customer value strategy puts our customers and their experience at the heart of everything we do.
Reports to a Technical Engineering Manager. Works with other software engineers, project managers, designers and QA team members.
The ideal candidate for this position should have strong development experience either backend or frontend or fullstack. You will have experience working collaboratively within a web development team with a non-hierarchical structure, be self-directed and happy to work on your own initiative
This role can be 100% home based or hybrid. Our HQ is in Canary Wharf and we are happy for you to come in to meet with the team when needed.
So, who are we?
Every day our newsbrands – national and regional, in print and online – reach millions of people up and down the country. We are the UK’s largest news publisher and 5th largest digital platform.
There are 47m online readers in the UK, 30.8m of who get local news from the Live network – 65% of all adults. Our network of over 70 websites provides 24/7 coverage of news, sport and showbiz stories, with 8.1 billion page views per year.
- Acquisition of users from organic search, newsletters, direct registration and social media.
- Features that encourage users to engage and move around our products. Features that encourage users of Reach plc’s digital news products to interact with editorial staff and each other.
- Commenting on articles and interactive web chats but with the potential to expand into related features.
- Tools to enable our editorial team to build relationships with users via two-way conversations, encouraging user loyalty and increasing return visits.
- Tracking and understanding user journeys across multiple visits, from discovery to loyalty
- Optimising the promotion of features that drive engagement and loyalty.
- Writing maintainable, tested and compliant code. Provide secure, scalable solutions with proper monitoring and logging.
- Provide information by analysing and summarising business and development needs.
- Participate in code reviews and guide software engineers to implement the latest programming techniques and tools.
- Mentor junior software engineers
The ideal candidate
- Must have for Frontend developer:
- Must have for Backend developer:
- An understanding of HTTP, caching and how the web works
- Working understanding of front end build tools. e.g. Babel, Gulp, Grunt, Webpack
- Familiarity with automated testing at different parts of the test pyramid
- Optimising performance to scale to handle large quantities of content data and high volumes of traffic across numerous websites
- Familiarity with Database (we mainly use DynamoDB, PostgreSQL and MySQL)
- Java experience would be a plus
- A confident and articulate communicator capable of inspiring strong collaboration within an organisation and between teams.
- A self-starter with a can-do, will-do attitude
- Experience of automated testing at different levels of the test pyramid
- Ideally, we are looking for a Fullstack developer, but a Frontend or Backend developer with aspirations to become Full Stack is also welcome to apply.
- An understanding and preference for Functional Programming is highly desirable, however again we are happy to teach you this otherwise.
- We use AWS extensively, and we provision our own resources (using Cloud formation), so some knowledge of AWS will help. We expect to mentor you in this aspect though.
- We are offering a competitive salary and benefits including;
- 100% home based or Hybrid
- 25 days holiday
- Healthcare & Dental plan
- Contributory pension scheme
- Holiday purchase scheme
- Free wellbeing apps and coaching support
- Lots of high street discounts!