The Mirror is looking for a Feature Writer to help drive its growing online Features team.
The Mirror is part of Reach, the UK’s largest news publisher, and our digital features team is key to what we are working towards. We are looking for a dynamic all-rounder capable of working to tight deadlines in our busy, integrated newsroom.
This is a varied and far reaching role so we are looking for a self starter who is capable of generating their own ideas on a daily basis and working to tight deadlines. You’ll be comfortable writing about everything, one day you could be writing about the latest Strictly news, the next it could be writing about international war zones and crime rings.
So, who are we?
We are Reach Plc, you might not have heard of us but we have probably met without you even realising it. We are home to the UK and Ireland’s most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Mirror, Daily Express and OK!, to our regional titles such as the Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more), our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people. We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human.
This role is home working linked to our Canary Wharf Hub. We are therefore open to candidates based in an area commutable to London.
What will the role involve?
- Cover everything from showbiz to TV features, and news to politics, providing quality, well-written content
- Understand the brand’s key content and quickly develop a feel for the stories which work best for our readers, in both print and online
- Use your contacts to pull in exclusive interviews and news stories
- Push content via Facebook and Twitter in accordance with the digital social media policy
- Optimise stories in accordance with the digital SEO strategy
- Find the latest trends and make them work for the Mirror Features team
- Work closely with the paper as part of our integration
- Drive traffic and ensure it keeps increasing
Who are we looking for?
- NCTJ or equivalent journalism degree and knowledge of media law
- Experience working at a national or regional title
- Passionate about delivering a wide range of news stories, from hard news to showbiz, knowing what works for a digital audience in an ever-changing environment
- Social media savvy with current SEO knowledge
- Comfortable working under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Sound legal knowledge, with first class editing, writing and subbing skills
- Experience of a CMS and Chartbeat or Google Analytics would be advantageous
What can we offer you?
We are offering a competitive salary and benefits including;
- Help saving for your retirement – join our pension scheme and we’ll match contributions up to 6%
- 25 days’ holiday per year when you join. After three, five and ten years’ service with Reach, you’ll accrue one additional day of annual leave. We also have a Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Giving back day – an additional day’s leave each year to support a cause close to your heart
- Enhanced family leave – including maternity, paternity and adoption – and you’ll be eligible after just six months’ employment
- Private Healthcare Cash Plan – free health cash plan so you can claim back cash for a range of medical expenses
- Wellbeing support – including a 24/7 assistance programme for you and your nearest and dearest, a free subscription to mindfulness app Headspace and access to free mental health coaching through Sanctus
- Awesome career opportunities – you’ll have support from your line manager and a range of learning & development programmes