WalesOnline is part of Reach plc, the biggest regional journalism publisher in the UK, with a proud history of campaigning local journalism. This role exists to focus on how we are connecting with our readers and followers on social media, via our newsletters, and on the site itself. It will also deal with how to make the most of our content post-publication.
You will help manage our social media channels and improve their position as among the most engaged-with in the country. This means making our Facebook pages even more widely followed, shared and engaged with, through video, pictures and words on subjects which will be informative, emotional, funny, heartbreaking, quintessentially Welsh, or all of these things at once. It means finding new ways to grow our Twitter and Instagram channels to get people more involved in who we are and what we do, and reaching new audiences on platforms like TikTok.
Our email newsletters have become a huge part of what we do in recent years and you will help us build on these foundations, on subjects ranging from breaking news to nostalgia. And you will help us get more people commenting on and engaging with articles on our website. You will do all these things by drawing upon data and marrying with that with creativity and imagination about where we can go next.
We are looking for fresh ideas and new perspectives from people from a wide range of backgrounds, and we want you to tell us the stories you believe are important from our many communities so we can continue to diversify our content. Please note, this role will be a mix of home working and office-based presence.
So, who are we?
You might not have heard of us but we have probably met without you even realising it. We are home to the UK and Ireland’s most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Mirror, Daily Express and OK!, to our regional titles such as the Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more), our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people. We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human. Oh, and we should probably also mention that with a monthly readership of 47 million people, Reach is the largest commercial publisher in the UK. At Reach, not only will you feel better understood, you will also feel you understand other people better too.
- Creating engaging content across all our social media platforms that large numbers of people want to engage with, using video, pictures, graphics and words
- Finding new ways to grow our social platforms and pages
- Growing our numbers of newsletter subscribers.
- Managing and moderating platforms for logged-in users, such as readers’ comments on our news stories.
- Managing social media channels when required.
- Ideally, you’ll have NCTJ-accredited qualifications including news writing and media law. However other relevant qualifications or experience will be considered.
- Creative and experienced in social media, you will have clear ideas of how to reach and engage people and be able to take the initiative in making that happen
- Excellent writing skills
- Ideas for growing existing newsletter audiences and attracting new ones
- Experience using email service providers, to develop and deliver email campaigns / newsletters would be advantageous
- Experience of publishing via digital content management systems and video editing
- You’ll be comfortable working at pace and under deadline pressure
- This role includes some weekend and evening shift rota work
We are offering a competitive salary and benefits including;
25 days holiday per annum when you join.
After three, five and ten years’ service with Reach, you’ll accrue one additional day of annual leave
Enhanced Maternity, Partner and Shared
Parental Leave benefits
Contributory pension scheme
Share save scheme
Simply Health Cash Plan
Holiday purchase scheme
Technology purchase scheme
Car purchase scheme
Discounted gym membership
Lots of high street discounts
Huge focus on Diversity & Inclusion. We have launched 6 networks to drive diversity at work and an inclusive environment, and to give you a voice. We hold panel events with internal and external guest speakers, and provide some really useful resources.
Huge focus on your wellbeing. Free wellbeing apps and confidential coaching support, with access to free healthcare advice and counselling (available to your and your immediate family members who live in the same household). Some services are available 24/7 via call and live chat.
Reach plc believes diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.