Express.co.uk has an opportunity for a Deputy Technology Editor to join our editorial team here at Britain’s fastest-growing national newspaper website. The perfect candidate will be passionate about all things tech and be up-to-date with the latest developments in mobile, TV, broadband, audio and apps. Candidates must be dynamic all-rounders capable of working to deadlines in our busy online newsroom and be social media savvy and able to turn their hand to all types of tech news, reviews and features, both at home and abroad. Experience on the nationals and/or in a digital news environment is essential as is an understanding of driving traffic and affiliate revenue. Contacts within the industry would also be useful.
So, who are we?
We are Reach plc, you might not have heard of us but we have probably met without you even realising it. We are home to the UK and Ireland’s most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Mirror, Daily Express and OK!, to our regional titles such as the Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more), our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people. We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human.
What will the role involve?
- To report directly to the Technology Editor and contribute quality content to the section with the aim to boost traffic and grow affiliate revenue
- To support the team, edit copy and run the busy desk when the Technology Editor is away from the office
- To push content via Facebook and Twitter, in accordance with the digital social media policy
- To optimise stories in accordance with the digital SEO strategy
- To be able to react quickly to breaking news stories
- To, wherever possible, identify unique angles for stories
- To write and edit in accordance with digital house style
- To read all the other competitor sites and form a thorough knowledge of the content
- To monitor social media for viral trends and content
Who are we looking for?
- NCTJ qualified or equivalent
- Ability to work under pressure to tight deadlines, multitask, forward plan, develop relationships
- Experienced digital journalist with familiarity with CMS, Photoshop, Google Analytics
- To have a working knowledge of SEO
- Professional understanding of journalism law
- Attention to detail and ability to write engaging headlines and find unique angles to your stories
- Flexible approach to working hours including weekends and later shifts
What can we offer you?
We are offering a competitive salary and benefits including;
- Help saving for your retirement – join our pension scheme and we’ll match contributions up to 6%
- 25 days’ holiday per year when you join. After three, five and ten years’ service with Reach, you’ll accrue one additional day of annual leave. We also have a Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Giving back day – an additional day’s leave each year to support a cause close to your heart
- Enhanced family leave – including maternity, paternity and adoption – and you’ll be eligible after just six months’ employment
- Private Healthcare Cash Plan – free health cash plan so you can claim back cash for a range of medical expenses
- Wellbeing support – including a 24/7 assistance programme for you and your nearest and dearest, a free subscription to mindfulness app Headspace and access to free mental health coaching through Sanctus
- Awesome career opportunities – you’ll have support from your line manager and a range of learning & development programmes