Are you a talented news editor ready to help take Britain’s fastest growing mainstream national news website to the next level?
Express.co.uk is looking for a Deputy News Editor to join our dynamic digital team. You will play a key role in setting the news agenda read by millions around the world every day, listing and prioritising the best on-brand stories likely to drive traffic and grow our audience.
In addition, you’ll take a more strategic look at the team’s news coverage, assisting with or leading forward planning projects. This is an exciting opportunity to help shape a new look reporting team. We are looking for a versatile journalist who thrives on working 100mph, has the soft skills to coach reporters and is in tune with the Express.co.uk brand.
What will the role involve?
- Lead day-to-day news coverage on major breaking news stories
- Ensure there is a balance of hard, light and fun news on the site at all times
- Identify opportunities to inject the brand’s unique voice into headlines and copy
- Encourage reporters to source exclusive and original on-brand content
- Deputise for the Head of News when they are not on shift
Sub-edit and manage copy to ensure it is accurate and attention grabbing
- Be able to work under pressure, at 100mph, while not compromising on quality
- Hold reporters and assistant news editors to high standards
- Be willing to work a mixture of day and evening shifts, with some weekend work
Who are we looking for?
- NCTJ or equivalent journalism degree and knowledge of media law
- At least 18 months’ news editing experience at a national or regional title
- First rate communication skills, both written and verbal
- A proven love of news and a flair for writing an attention grabbing headlines
- Exceptional media law knowledge
- A sense of humour and appreciation of the fun news can bring
- Open minded and collaborative
- A flexible approach to shift work
What can we offer you?
We are offering a competitive salary and benefits including;
- Help saving for your retirement – join our pension scheme and we’ll match contributions up to 6%
- 25 days’ holiday per year when you join. After three, five and ten years’ service with Reach, you’ll accrue one additional day of annual leave. We also have a Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Giving back day – an additional day’s leave each year to support a cause close to your heart
- Enhanced family leave – including maternity, paternity and adoption – and you’ll be eligible after just six months’ employment
- Private Healthcare Cash Plan – free health cash plan so you can claim back cash for a range of medical expenses
- As one of the UK’s top 50 Inclusive Employers everyone’s invited to join our events, programmes and networks to celebrate diversity and build an environment where all our people can thrive
- Wellbeing support – including a 24/7 assistance programme for you and your nearest and dearest, a free subscription to mindfulness app Headspace and access to free mental health coaching through Sanctus
- Awesome career opportunities – you’ll have support from your line manager and a range of learning & development programmes
- We are a member of the 30% Club, a global campaign aimed at increasing gender diversity at board and senior management levels
Reach plc believes diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.