A great new opportunity has arisen in our Company Secretariat team for a Deputy Company Secretary to help further develop the function and lead on embedding enhanced operational governance business wide.
A major focus of this role is to lead as a governance specialist in supporting business leaders in developing and maintaining an effective governance framework which supports the continued growth of the Hastings Group. Location wise, we are open to either Bexhill or London, however London based candidates should bear in mind that some travel will be required as key stakeholders are based in the Bexhill office.
This represents a significant opportunity to further your career with a progressive, modern, growing business.
The Deputy Company Secretary will work closely with the Group Company Secretary and in time, your remit will include direct leadership and development of members of the Secretariat team. Ideally, candidates will have experience working in a highly regulated industry but not necessarily financial services (although advantageous). Most importantly, you will understand how a business operates and can demonstrate your ability to build operational governance whilst engaging internal stakeholders along the way.
- Delegated accountability for providing each Board of directors with the information, protocols, processes, time and resources it needs in order to function effectively and efficiently in compliance with its statutory and regulatory obligations, including effective record keeping
- Oversight of scheduling and organising of Board/Committee meetings, and meetings of executive management, attending and taking minutes of relevant meetings as allocated, and including preparation and distribution of materials and documentation, and managing follow up actions
- Oversight of compliance with all relevant statutory and corporate regulatory requirements
- Delegated accountability for ensuring that the approach to compliance with relevant board-approved corporate governance code(s) is maintained
- Delegated accountability for maintenance and development of the Group Policy Framework, and overseeing interactions between each Board and executive management, to ensure that the boundaries within which the respective legal entities can operate are clear whilst still protecting their independence
Required skills and experience:
- Good knowledge and experience of UK Companies Act, and other corporate legislation, corporate governance codes and best practice, and other regulatory codes and frameworks
- Experience of servicing Boards/Committees and senior management committees, including effective minute-taking and preparation of all relevant materials and documentation
- Excellent IT written and verbal communication skills, and ability to create high quality, professional documentation
- Knowledge of digital platform(s) for distribution of meeting materials and ancillary documents
- Excellent stakeholder management, relationship building, and influencing skills including credibility to appropriately challenge and engage
- Law degree
- ICSA qualified
Benefits for you
- Real opportunity to make a difference and shape something special
- £6,000 car allowance
- Up to 20% on target annual bonus
- Pension 1:1 match up to 10%
- 27 days holiday and bank holidays (plus buy and sell up to 5 days)
- Private medical insurance
- Income protection
- Life assurance
- Access to a suite of flexible benefits i.e. cycle to work, opt in dental
Hastings Group is an equal opportunities employer which means we treat people fairly. We welcome applications from all suitably skilled persons regardless of their gender, age, race, disability, ethnic background, religion/belief, sexual orientation, gender reassignment or marital/family status. Please also note that we have a thorough referencing process, which includes credit and criminal record checks.