We are already the largest regional website in the country with a huge audience but we are constantly expanding and experimenting and to help us bring our audience the news they need right now we are looking for a cost of living reporter.
We are looking for a great journalist with a passion for hacks, deals and everything consumer. You need to be comfortable with energy price caps, tax rules, deals and helping people solve consumer dilemmas.
We want a trained journalist with a great news sense who can cut through the blurb to bring our readers the crucial info they need as the cost of living crisis bites.
You will also be comfortable telling the stories of those who are struggling to make their money stretch further.
As well as excellent storytelling skills you need a deep understanding of how to make content engaging.
Please note we will be reviewing applications for this role as applications are submitted. Due to this the role may close without notice, so please don’t delay in your application.
So, who are we?
We are Reach Plc, you might not have heard of us but we have probably met without you even realising it. We are home to the UK and Ireland’s most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Mirror, Daily Express and OK!, to our regional titles such as the Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more), our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people. We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human.
Oh, and we should probably also mention that with a monthly readership of 47 million people, Reach is the largest commercial publisher in the UK. At Reach, not only will you feel better understood, you will also feel you understand other people better too.
This role is home working linked to our Manchester Hub. We are therefore open to candidates based in an area commutable to Manchester/Oldham.
This role has the ability to be flexible, we are open to candidates that are looking for a full or part time role.
What will the role involve?
- We are looking for a reporter to drive audience create compelling, shareable money saving content
- We want you to provide useful content for people who are struggling
- You need to be able to tell the stories of the people who are trying to make ends meet
- You will understand how to create an audience around your content for example through social media
- You will have an understanding of SEO
Early shifts start at 7am and late shifts work from 1-9pm
- Ensure every piece of content is thoroughly researched and balanced prior to publication, in accordance with the Editor’s Code of practice
- Uphold Reach’s policy around diversity and inclusion and work to ensure our values around non discrimination are upheld in everything we publish
- This role includes weekend working, this will typically involve 1 weekend in every 3
Who are we looking for?
- NCTJ or equivalent journalism degree and knowledge of media law
- Find own stories, make contacts and work the subject as if it were a patch patch
- Understand how to identify the stories that people want to read
- Be an elegant storyteller, able to write in a clear and accurate way
- Provide quality content to tight deadlines including breaking news
- Have a sophisticated understanding of how to use social media to spot and share stories
- Understand the need to build an audience round your content to help it reach the people it is created for
- Understand the value of analytics to inform content decisions
- Maintain the highest personal standards of professionalism and integrity at all times within the framework of current legislation and Reach PLC’s editorial and company policies
- Maintain a thorough, up-to-date knowledge of media law and IPSO code
What can we offer you?
We are offering a competitive salary and benefits including;
- Help saving for your retirement – join our pension scheme and we’ll match contributions up to 6%
- 25 days’ holiday per year when you join. After three, five and ten years’ service with Reach, you’ll accrue one additional day of annual leave. We also have a Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Giving back day – an additional day’s leave each year to support a cause close to your heart
- Enhanced family leave – including maternity, paternity and adoption – and you’ll be eligible after just six months’ employment
- Private Healthcare Cash Plan – free health cash plan so you can claim back cash for a range of medical expenses
- As one of the UK’s top 50 Inclusive Employers everyone’s invited to join our events, programmes and networks to celebrate diversity and build an environment where all our people can thrive
Reach plc believes diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.