Cornwall is unique – there’s nowhere else like it in the UK. CornwallLive knows its patch and audience inside out and is looking for a content editor to help drive and shape the daily content agenda.
We have an amazing array of stories to tell – from the housing crisis and impact of tourism to development and what’s on. We visit the most isolated villages to tell their stories. We also review Primark wetsuits to see what all the fuss is about. And we capitalise on the huge search audience that seeks out information on Cornwall and all it has to offer.
You’ll need energy, enthusiasm and lots of ideas, plus you’ll be a natural leader who wants to make an impact in a newsroom packed with experienced, talented journalists.
We’re looking for fresh ideas and new perspectives from people from a wide range of backgrounds, and we want you to tell us the stories you believe are important from our many communities so we can continue to diversify our content.
So, who are we?
We are Reach Plc, you might not have heard of us but we have probably met without you even realising it. We are home to the UK and Ireland’s most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Mirror, Daily Express and OK!, to our regional titles such as the Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more), our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people. We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human.
Oh, and we should probably also mention that with a monthly readership of 47 million people, Reach is the largest commercial publisher in the UK. At Reach, not only will you feel better understood, you will also feel you understand other people better too.
This role has the ability to be flexible, this could look like full time, part time, condensed or reduced hours. If you’re looking for a flexible role please advise what you’re looking for in the application form.
This role is home based however due to the nature of the role, you will need to be based in Cornwall.
What will the role involve?
- Find, develop and edit stories from every area and community across the county
- Lead the newsroom to produce content which engages readers and reaches as many people as possible
- Publish to the highest possible digital standards, including optimising for SEO, social media and registration
- Manage home pages and audience engagement channels, including social platforms
- Develop members of the team, supporting them to reach their full potential
- Help build signed in communities and grow our loyal readership, finding new audiences in London and beyond
- Be flexible – this role will involve shift work
- This role includes some shift work and weekend working, this will typically involve 1 weekend in every 4
Who are we looking for?
- A Reach plc or equivalent senior journalist qualification (or relevant time-served experience)
- Experience of content management
- Ability to lead, motivate and develop content teams
- Understanding of editorial strategy and brand values
- Strong storytelling skills
- Good digital publishing skills – or a willingness to learn
- An understanding of social media both in terms of finding content and sharing it
- An understanding of how to use analytics to inform content commissioning and production – or a willingness to learnFirst-class organisational skills
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to present in conference
- Adaptable, flexible, creative and full of flair
- A positive, can-do attitude
- Ability to work well as part of a team
- Ability to work quickly and effectively under deadline pressure
- Good judgement
- Energy, drive, determination and self-motivation
- Flexible approach to shifts
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to take instruction as well as manage own workload efficiently
What can we offer you?
We are offering a competitive salary and benefits including;
- Help saving for your retirement – join our pension scheme and we’ll match contributions up to 6%
- 25 days’ holiday per year when you join. After three, five and ten years’ service with Reach, you’ll accrue one additional day of annual leave. We also have a Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Giving back day – an additional day’s leave each year to support a cause close to your heart
- Enhanced family leave – including maternity, paternity and adoption – and you’ll be eligible after just six months’ employment
- Private Healthcare Cash Plan – free health cash plan so you can claim back cash for a range of medical expenses
- As one of the UK’s top 50 Inclusive Employers everyone’s invited to join our events, programmes and networks to celebrate diversity and build an environment where all our people can thrive