It is a really exciting time to join the Reach family. We are now looking for a Facebook Community Reporter to join our Live network as part of our newsroom team in Cardiff.
The role is part of the Community News Project, a partnership between Facebook, the National Council for the Training of Journalists (NCTJ) and local publishers.
Previous journalism experience or education is not essential. We want people who care about their local communities and want to make a difference and have a positive impact. The purpose of the role is to find and report on the stories, issues and talking points that matter to specific communities and groups of people in and around this location, in a way which ensures as many people as possible discover, engage with and respond to our work.
We are especially keen to hear from people who believe they can help make our newsrooms more representative of the diverse communities we serve.
This role is initially a two-year fixed-term contract.
A chance for a career in journalism.
This exciting opportunity offers two routes into journalism.
For applicants with no previous journalism experience or education, we are offering a journalism apprenticeship, which combines intensive training with on-the-job experience in the heart of the local community you’re reporting on. We welcome applicants with no previous journalistic experience for this pathway, and flexible arrangements will be considered for the right candidate.
You will receive industry-leading digital journalism training on the job, as well as the gold-standard NCTJ journalism training to become a fully trained journalist.
Candidates for this option need to have at least five GCSEs with maths and English at a C or above (or equivalent).
For applicants with previous journalism experience or education, we are offering trainee community reporter roles, where support will be provided to gain the necessary NCTJ qualifications to become a senior reporter. Successful candidates in their final year of journalism study will be able to start at the end of the academic course.
This role has the ability to be flexible, we are open to candidates that are looking for full time or condensed hours.
This role is home and hub based linked to our Cardiff Hub. We are therefore open to candidates based in and around Cardiff.
What will the role involve?
- Find and tell stories about specific communities and groups within the local area which engage as many readers as possible, and are of interest to those groups
- Build a presence online, on social media and in real life to share stories with local communities once published, and engaged with readers about those stories
- Tell stories in many different ways, including (but not limited to) written articles, pictures, videos and podcasts
- Uphold Reach’s policy around diversity and inclusion and work to ensure our values around non discrimination are upheld in everything we publish
Who are we looking for?
- As outlined above, there are two routes into this role, one for people with no journalism experience and another for trainee journalists with some experience
- Candidates with no journalism experience will need at least five GCSEs with maths and English at a C or above (or equivalent)
- You’ll be naturally curious, interested in what’s happening locally and passionate about how publishers can make a difference in their communities
- You’ll also be passionate about digital storytelling, and comfortable on social media
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to talk to people from all walks of life, are key
What can we offer you?
We are offering a competitive salary and benefits including;
- Help saving for your retirement – join our pension scheme and we’ll match contributions up to 6%
- 25 days’ holiday per year when you join. After three, five and ten years’ service with Reach, you’ll accrue one additional day of annual leave. We also have a Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Giving back day – an additional day’s leave each year to support a cause close to your heart
- Enhanced family leave – including maternity, paternity and adoption – and you’ll be eligible after just six months’ employment
- Private Healthcare Cash Plan – free health cash plan so you can claim back cash for a range of medical expenses
- As one of the UK’s top 50 Inclusive Employers everyone’s invited to join our events, programmes and networks to celebrate diversity and build an environment where all our people can thrive
- Wellbeing support – including a 24/7 assistance programme for you and your nearest and dearest, a free subscription to mindfulness app Headspace and access to free mental health coaching through Sanctus
- Awesome career opportunities – you’ll have support from your line manager and a range of learning & development programmes
- We are a member of the 30% Club, a global campaign aimed at increasing gender diversity at board and senior management levels