Do you care about your community and wish it had a louder voice? Do you live in Staffordshire and feel your community is currently underrepresented? If so, this could be the perfect job opportunity for you.
StaffordshireLive is looking to take on and train a new journalist to work alongside our team of reporters in the newsroom.
As part of our ground breaking partnership with Facebook and the NCTJ, we are looking to employ an enthusiastic and driven person who is passionate about creating content about the things that matter to their community.
The best bit about this role? You don’t need to have any previous journalism experience or training to apply! We want people who care about where we live and we’re especially keen to hear from people who believe they can help make our newsrooms more representative of the communities they serve.
So, who are we?
StaffordshireLive is part of Reach plc. You might not have heard of us but we have probably met without you even realising it. We are home to the UK and Ireland’s most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Mirror, Daily Express and OK!, to our regional titles such as the Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more), our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people. We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human. Oh, and we should probably also mention that with a monthly readership of 47 million people, Reach is the largest commercial publisher in the UK. At Reach, not only will you feel better understood, you will also feel you understand other people better too.
What will the role involve?
- Engage with people in specific communities to curate, collate and create content relevant to them
- Take responsibility for developing relationships with new communities, focusing on a named community each quarter, generating stories which re-engage communities with your local news provider
- Publish packages of content to a high standard, writing headlines and uploading words, pictures, video and audio that you have sourced
- Provide insight to the wider newsroom about the issues and concerns of specific communities will be an important part of the role
The ideal candidate
What are we looking for?
- You will have at least 5 GCSEs grade 4 or above including English
- A driving licence is preferable
- You will be creative individual and be passionate about news
- We also welcome people who are doing a completely different job – and want to make a career change to become a journalist
What can we offer you?
For applicants with no previous journalism experience or education, we are offering journalism apprenticeships, which combine intensive training with on-the-job experience in local communities.
The job will be offered on a 15-month fixed term contract and you will receive industry-leading digital journalism training from the NCTJ once in the role.
We are offering a competitive salary and benefits including;
- 25 days holiday per annum
- Contributory pension scheme
- Holiday purchase scheme
- Simply Health Healthcare Cashplan
- Free wellbeing apps and coaching support
- Share save scheme
- Inclusion Networks and Champions, giving all employees a voice
- Lots of High Street Discounts!