Assistant News Editor
We have an exciting opportunity for an Assistant News Editor to join our brilliant Mirror team where you will have a major role in shaping and setting the news agenda read by millions around the world every day.
In the role you will be responsible for taking the lead on major national and international stories, working alongside both print and digital departments to maximise brand collaboration and ensure best use of digital copy in the daily print edition of the Mirror.
We are looking for an experienced, versatile journalist who can cover a busy newsdesk, copy tasting wires, liaising with news agencies and freelancers, as well as pinpointing emerging news trends, compiling everything from leader columns to picture captions and writing exclusive stories across our core subject matters in a rewarding and varied role.
So, who are we?
Hello, we are Reach plc. You might not have heard of us but we have probably met without you even realising it. We are home to the UK and Ireland’s most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Mirror, Daily Express and OK!, to our regional titles such as the Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more), our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people. We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human. Oh, and we should probably also mention that with a monthly readership of 47 million people, Reach is the largest commercial publisher in the UK. At Reach, not only will you feel better understood, you will also feel you understand other people better too.
- Take charge and lead coverage on major breaking news stories both
domestic and foreign
- Find, write and develop stories that will appeal to both UK national newsprint
and global web audiences
- Break exclusives to ensure the Mirror stays a step ahead of our rivals
- Sub-edit and manage copy to ensure it is accurate and attention grabbing for
the newspaper and online
- Taking accountability for the fair and consistent application of all our people
policies, procedures and processes
- Fostering a high-performance culture by setting clear expectations and having in-the-moment performance discussions
- Developing a culture of trust, where people are safe to speak up, clear on
their role in the team’s success and empowered to be their best at work
- Rewarding and recognising great performance, celebrating people’s
achievements and successes
- Ensuring the continued development of team members, supporting them to
reach their full potential
- Partnering with our HR team to attract, develop and maintain the best talent to help the business achieve its goals, now and in the future
- Including monitoring engagement and using employee feedback to continually improve
- Acting as a role model and taking a lead on change initiatives to support the
group’s strategy and our employees
- You will work well under pressure and produce content containing the best words, pictures and video
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Excellent web and social media skills
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment while working across multiple stories
- At least 18 months senior experience at a national or regional title. Print
newspaper experience encouraged
- A proven love of news and a flair for writing attention grabbing copy
- Exceptional media law knowledge
We are offering a competitive salary and benefits including;
- 25 days holiday per annum when you join. After three, five and ten years’ service with Reach, you’ll accrue one additional day of annual leave
- Defined progression pathway
- Enhanced Maternity, Partner and Shared Parental Leave benefits
- Contributory pension scheme
- Share save scheme
- Simply Health Cash Plan
- A brilliant induction and learning hub
- Holiday purchase scheme
- Technology purchase scheme
- Car purchase scheme
- Discounted gym membership
- Lots of high street discounts
- Huge focus on Diversity & Inclusion. We have launched 6 networks to drive diversity at work and an inclusive environment, and to give you a voice. We hold panel events with internal and external guest speakers, and provide some really useful resources.
- Huge focus on your wellbeing. Free wellbeing apps and confidential coaching support, with access to free healthcare advice and counselling (available to your and your immediate family members who live in the same household). Some services are available 24/7 via call and live chat.
Reach plc believes diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.