Assistant Live News Editor – Mat Cover
It is a really exciting time to join the Reach family. Due to our sustained growth and our ambitious future growth plans, we are now looking for an experienced Assistant Live News Editor to join us on bringing in exciting stories, working across Scotland on a maternity cover contract.
You will be working with our highly successful newsdesk with our Senior Editorial Team breaking the days top news stories.
This is a home based position with patch reporting in the Glasgow area. You may be required to attend our Glasgow hub on an occasional basis.
- Dealing with senior editorial team, backbench and Reporters.
- Bringing in exclusive stories, working with reporters on running stories, dealing with breaking stories, managing legal issues, communicating with reporters and senior editorial staff.
- Ability to work on a newsdesk.
- Good communication and management skills.
- Hardworking, takes ownership over delegated tasks, completing to a high quality.
- Good timekeeper, working to tight and sometimes changing deadlines (e.g. breaking news coverage)
- The ability to identify and see the potential in new, emerging stories.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, ensuring both internal and external relationships are built, managed and nurtured effectively.
- At least 2 years journalistic experience with some previous experience in a similar editorial discipline is required.
- A demonstration of previous experience working on breaking news stories and self-generation of stories is required.
- A working knowledge of legal considerations is required.
- An NCTJ qualification and experience of working on a national or daily newspaper is beneficial but not required.
- Experience of working on a national newspaper newsdesk.
So, who are we?
The Daily Record is part of Reach Plc. You might not have heard of us but we have probably met without you even realising it. We are home to Scotland and the UK’s most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Daily Record and Sunday Mail to the Scottish Daily Express, Glasgow Live, Edinburgh Live and OK!. We also own a huge number of regional titles across the UK such as the Paisley Daily Express, Ayrshire Post, Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more). Our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people. We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human. Oh, and we should probably also mention that with a monthly readership of 47 million people, Reach is the largest commercial publisher in the UK. At Reach, not only will you feel better understood, you will also feel you understand other people better too.
We are offering a competitive salary and benefits including;
- Help saving for your retirement – join our pension scheme and we’ll match contributions up to 6%
- 35 days’ holiday per year when you join. After three, five and ten years’ service with Reach, you’ll accrue one additional day of annual leave. We also have a Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Giving back day- an additional day’s leave each year to support a cause close to your heart
- Flexibility – In this role, you’ll be fully remote-working (UK based) giving you more flexibility to balance home and life. We’ll support you with your home set-up
- Enhanced family leave– including maternity, paternity and adoption – and you’ll be eligible after just six months’ employment
- Private Healthcare Cash Plan – free health cash plan so you can claim back cash for a range of medical expenses
- As one of the UK’s top 50 Inclusive Employers everyone’s invited to join our events, programmes and networks to celebrate diversity and build an environment where all our people can thrive
- Wellbeing support – including a 24/7 assistance programme for you and your nearest and dearest, a free subscription to mindfulness app Headspace and access to free mental health coaching through Sanctus
- Awesome career opportunities – you’ll have support from your line manager and a range of learning & development programmes
- We are a FTSE 250 Company, and also a member of the 30% Club, a global campaign aimed at increasing gender diversity
Reach plc believes diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.