Assistant Live News Editor
It is a really exciting time to join the Reach family. Due to our sustained growth and our ambitious future growth plans, we are now looking for an experienced Assistant Live News Editor to join us on bringing in exciting stories, working across Scotland.
You will be working with our highly successful newsdesk with our Senior Editorial Team breaking the days top news stories.
Please note we will be reviewing applications for this role as applications are submitted. Due to this, the role may close without notice, so please don’t delay in your application.
This is a home based position with patch reporting in the Glasgow area. You may be required to attend our Glasgow hub on an occasional basis.
- Dealing with senior editorial team, backbench and reporters.
- Bringing in exclusive stories, working with reporters on running stories, dealing with breaking stories, managing legal issues, communicating with reporters and senior editorial staff.
- Ability to work on a newsdesk.
- Good communication and management skills.
- Hardworking, takes ownership over delegated tasks, completing to a high quality.
- Good timekeeper, working to tight and sometimes changing deadlines (e.g. breaking news coverage)
- The ability to identify and see the potential in new, emerging stories.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, ensuring both internal and external relationships are built, managed and nurtured effectively.
- At least 2 years journalistic experience with some previous experience in a similar editorial discipline is required.
- A demonstration of previous experience working on breaking news stories and self-generation of stories is required.
- A working knowledge of legal considerations is required.
- An NCTJ qualification and experience of working on a national or daily newspaper is beneficial but not required.
- Experience of working on a national newspaper newsdesk.
So, who are we?
The Daily Record is part of Reach Plc. You might not have heard of us but we have probably met without you even realising it. We are home to Scotland and the UK’s most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Daily Record and Sunday Mail to the Scottish Daily Express, Glasgow Live, Edinburgh Live and OK!. We also own a huge number of regional titles across the UK such as the Paisley Daily Express, Ayrshire Post, Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more). Our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people. We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human. Oh, and we should probably also mention that with a monthly readership of 47 million people, Reach is the largest commercial publisher in the UK. At Reach, not only will you feel better understood, you will also feel you understand other people better too.
What can we offer you?
- 25 days holiday per annum when you join. After three, five and ten years’ service with Reach, you’ll accrue one additional day of annual leave
- Enhanced Maternity, Partner and Shared Parental Leave benefits
- Contributory pension scheme
- Share save scheme
- Simply Health Cash Plan
- A brilliant induction and learning hub
- Holiday purchase scheme
- Technology purchase scheme
- Car purchase scheme
- Discounted gym membership
- Lots of high street discounts
- Huge focus on Diversity & Inclusion. We have launched 6 networks to drive diversity at work and an inclusive environment, and to give you a voice. We hold panel events with internal and external guest speakers, and provide some really useful resources.
- Huge focus on your wellbeing. Free wellbeing apps and confidential coaching support, with access to free healthcare advice and counselling (available to your and your immediate family members who live in the same household). Some services are available 24/7 via call and live chat.
- We are a FTSE 250 Company.
- We are a member of the 30% Club, a global campaign aimed at increasing gender diversity at board and senior management levels.
- Many of the commercial roles are home based (when not visiting clients) which offers additional flexibility.
Reach plc believes diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.