Assistant Editor (Live)
Do you thrive under pressure? The Daily Star is looking for an experienced, versatile journalist to join our digital team. We want someone with the talent, nous and energy to help lead the team behind the UK’s fastest-growing mainstream digital brand to new heights. To bag this position, you’ll need to be comfortable in all areas of content, from News and Showbiz to Sport and Lifestyle. We’re an audience-focused outfit, so you’ll need to develop a deep understanding of the brand and how to convey its three pillars of fun, cheekiness and irreverence in ways that drive traffic to the website and reach new readers. In this role, you’d often be in control of the digital operation on a day-to-day basis, instructing section heads what to prioritise, commissioning stories and curating the homepage, among other tasks. This is an incredible opportunity to bag one of the best jobs in journalism.
So, who are we?
We are Reach plc, you might not have heard of us but we have probably met without you even realising it. We are home to the UK and Ireland’s most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Mirror, Daily Express and OK!, to our regional titles such as the Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more), our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people. We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human. Oh, and we should probably also mention that with a monthly readership of 47 million people, Reach is the largest commercial publisher in the UK. At Reach, not only will you feel better understood, you will also feel you understand other people
- Deputise for the Digital Editor and Associate Editor when required, to run the site and represent Digital in senior editorial meetings
- Lead the team day-to-day, overseeing content and liaising with all departments to create a dynamic website teeming with personality and attitude
- Implement editorial direction and strategy as set by the audience director
- Nurture existing talent and play a key role in the recruitment of new talent
- Lead digital conferences and represent the department in print equivalent
- Work with the editorial director on new strategy and projects
- Ensure all content is legally and IPSO compliant
- Work closely with print colleagues (national and regional)
- Take interest in the development of staff and ensure the department’s culture is open and inclusive
What we are looking for?
- We are looking for someone with a strong background in digital media across national titles or a major regional title.
- You will be someone who loves to hit big audience targets and can help build a strong team to follow suit.
- You will be at ease when it comes to managing staff in a what can be a pressured and frequently changing environment
- Someone who has an open and flexible approach with the ability to learn new skills fast – and to teach them to others
- Most importantly you will have a passion for breaking stories and finding a way to present them in a way that conveys the unique aspects of the Daily Star brand
- A journalism qualification – NCTJ, Trinity Mirror or equivalent
- Show flexibility in the role and willing to work – at times – unsociable hours, including weekends
What can we offer you?
- We are offering a competitive salary and benefits including
- 25 days holiday per annum
- Contributory pension scheme
- Holiday purchase scheme
- Simply Health Healthcare Cashplan
- Free wellbeing apps and coaching support
- Share save scheme
- Inclusion Networks and Champions, giving all employees a voice
- Lots of high street discounts!
Reach plc believes diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.