We have an exciting opportunity for an Art Editor to join our Magazines Hub on a 9 month contract.
As Art Editor you will be supporting the Creative Director in managing the restructured Creative Department in the newly created Celebrity Magazine & Supplement Hub. You will be responsible for project work including solely running the OK Magazine Special editions. You will also be expected to approve pages and covers for print so confidence is key to this role.
We are looking for someone with previous experience who is highly organised and with strong time management skills. You will be comfortable taking the leading role and working to deadlines. The magazines have a weekly deadline for the ten magazine titles so you must also be comfortable working under pressure.
This is a home working position so you can be based anywhere in the UK.
So, who are we?
We are Reach plc, you might not have heard of us but we have probably met without you even realising it. We are home to the UK and Ireland’s most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Mirror, Daily Express and OK!, to our regional titles such as the Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more), our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people. We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human. Oh, and we should probably also mention that with a monthly readership of 47 million people, Reach is the largest commercial publisher in the UK. At Reach, not only will you feel better understood, you will also feel you understand other people better too.
- To deliver eye-catching page layouts across all print titles in the Celebrity Magazine and Supplement Hub. This must be done in accordance with IPSO and legal requirements.
- To maintain and communicate clear brand identities for all titles and keep layouts relevant to the reader.
- To embrace change and develop new working practices alongside the Creative Director for the team to ensure efficient content sharing among titles and excellent production workflow.
- To support and manage a culture change across the celebrity magazine and supplement hub, ensuring all designers see themselves as one REACH magazine team (print and digital) and not the separate title teams they have been used to working in until now.
- To foster a high-performance culture by understanding your objectives and by setting clear expectations for the team members – and having in-the-moment performance discussions to ensure these expectations are met.
- To develop a culture of trust, where people are safe to speak up, clear on their role in the team’s success and empowered to be their best at work.
- To reward and recognise great performance, celebrating people’s achievements and successes.
- To ensure the continued development of team members, supporting them to reach their full potential.
- To act as a role model and take a lead on change initiatives to support the group’s strategy and our employees.
- A proficient and flexible manager
- Exceptional design skills, with the ability to create varied styles and layouts
- Planning and organisation
- Communication, including written, face-to-face and the ability to cascade consistent messages for maximum impact
- Previous experience as a Creative or Art Director/Editor or Deputy in a fast-paced newsroom or magazine
- Previous experience of managing a creative team
- Previous experience of successfully managing a budget and casual rota
- Excellent contacts within the industry
Reach plc believes diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.