We have an exciting opportunity for a creative reporter to join our team of sports writers. AFC Bournemouth have had an incredible season, winning promotion to the Premier League. Now we are looking for a football correspondent to follow the Cherries home and away who can provide premier-standard coverage to match. You will be joining our existing sports team, creating content aimed at engaging fans and bringing a new and returning audience to our site, newsletters and social channels.
We’re looking for someone with a willingness and tenacity to break exclusives and set the news agenda, who can also be the voice of the fans at AFC Bournemouth and bring all the colour of matchdays. You’ll need experience of live blogging games and creating feature and video content that reaches a wide audience.
We know sports media across the UK needs to be more representative of the fans who read our journalism. We particularly want to hear from people who feel their voice isn’t being heard in sports journalism, and who want to play a leading role in helping to shape a more inclusive future for sports journalism.
So, who are we?
We are Reach Plc, you might not have heard of us but we have probably met without you even realising it. We are home to the UK and Ireland’s most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Mirror, Daily Express and OK!, to our regional titles such as the Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more), our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people. We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human.
Oh, and we should probably also mention that with a monthly readership of 47 million people, Reach is the largest commercial publisher in the UK. At Reach, not only will you feel better understood, you will also feel you understand other people better too.
This role is home based however due to the nature of the role, you will need to be based in Dorset.
What will the role involve?
- Producing first class original content including features, opinion, comment and reportage that will engage diverse audience needs
- Focused on high impact content around the biggest talking points directly and indirectly affecting AFC Bournemouth
- React to the biggest stories with alternative ideas which go beyond the news or opinion cycle which are both engaging and thought provoking
- Find and tell stories which entice as many readers as possible and will be of interest to people around the world
- Have an eye for tactical, profiled and alternative content with a unique writing style which can lend itself to on-pitch topics and the wider football landscape
- Help edit and upload when needed, as well as general site management
- Use Twitter, Facebook and other social media platforms to example content daily as well as instigate native, engaging content
- Be part of video and audio content ideas and practices which help build community and loyalty to the site and brand
- Be a public face of our sports coverage
- Ensure every piece of content is thoroughly researched and balanced prior to publication, in accordance with the Editor’s Code of practice
- Modify working practices and learn new skills in order with company requirements
- Uphold Reach’s policy around diversity and inclusion and work to ensure our values around non discrimination are upheld in everything we publish
- This role includes weekend working during the football season (August – May)
Who are we looking for?
- NCTJ or equivalent journalism degree and knowledge of media law
- Experience/awareness of SEO and other website traffic driving strategies
- Social media presence and capability to capture engagement using varied platforms
- A wide range of football knowledge and written skills which are able to form features, opinion and journalistic material, dependant on circumstances
- Passion for digital storytelling which goes beyond the confines of local journalism
- Minimum one year experience in writing football content with the ability to example work
- Demonstrable knowledge of football which goes beyond mere awareness
What can we offer you?
We are offering a competitive salary and benefits including;
- Help saving for your retirement – join our pension scheme and we’ll match contributions up to 6%
- 25 days’ holiday per year when you join. After three, five and ten years’ service with Reach, you’ll accrue one additional day of annual leave. We also have a Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Giving back day – an additional day’s leave each year to support a cause close to your heart
- Enhanced family leave – including maternity, paternity and adoption – and you’ll be eligible after just six months’ employment
- Private Healthcare Cash Plan – free health cash plan so you can claim back cash for a range of medical expenses
- As one of the UK’s top 50 Inclusive Employers everyone’s invited to join our events, programmes and networks to celebrate diversity and build an environment where all our people can thrive